• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two M-55s

ThatXJGuy

So I have found two M-55 (long 5 ton) trucks in a local junkyard. They appear to both have the Continental gasser motor, and 5 speed transmissions and air brakes and everything that they should have. one is really pretty complete and has the metal roof and a winch and everything (only 3/6 inflated tires). So my questions are: what are the chances that engine will run again and that the tranny and transfercase and running gear will be in good-ish shape? It seems like 90% of these trucks come back to life with the work but I know nothing about the continental gassers and don't know if there are any other features of the M-55 specifically that might cause me pain... Also, what would you give for one of these? I'm thinking around $1000 would be fair but It seems like the price varies greatly. Both of these trucks have been sitting for quite a while, the tires are a little sunk into the mud etc... I'm waiting to hear back on what they want but I want to come up with a reasonable number to offer beings as I don't think they know what they are doing. When I first drove by and asked a junkyard hand, he said $10,000 which is insane, then I got $3,000 from another one one day, and another said $1600. I'd like to figure out scrap value so I can offer them that because that's all they'll get and I can tell them that. Anyway, thanks for any input, Im just trying to think of any reason I shouldn't do it if ya know what I mean. These trucks are hardly a half mile away from my place, it would be easy to aquire them.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6602 gasser motors are rock solid. The brake system would be a hydraulic with air assist not air brakes. The weight is around 22k on these so figure closer to 2 for scrap value. Can you get everything to run again, probably but plan on sinking another 5k+ into getting one running. That said you now may have close to 8 or 9 thousand in the project (4k for the trucks and another 4-5k in parts etc) and you could buy one running for that.

You could also turn around and part out one of them and probably get another 2-3k out in parts. So you have to look and see how much work you want to do to get running and operational. If you are good with a project and can get them both under 4k might be worth it.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Fuel milage on gassers suck but there is a cool factor. If they are on a scrap yard you will have to beat the Chinese scrap price but you would have a unique vehicles even if it is somewhat thirsty. Since there are two of them I'd consider a "rat rod" project on the one with the most issues. Maybe bob and lower and sell the excess metal and axle to offset the purchase price. I'll bet that big gasser engine would sound cool with a header and dual straight pipes. Lots of potiential there if you have the money to spare, a shop to work in, the right tools and fab skills.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A good running gasser will get 3+ to 6+ mpg(my 1952 m52 got 6+), the gasser has a lot more power then the multi or the mack.

You could use one truck for parts for the other.

You should find a guide that knows these trucks to help in the project

ThatXJGuy

Good to know about the engines, I knew about the brakes being air over hydraulic, I mis-spoke there but thanks for the correction. What are the usual things that need replaced? Obviously there are filters and fluids and spark plugs and wires etc. but as far as these trucks spicifically? In other words, what are the most common parts needed in a restoration of these? How do all the systems (like the brakes) hold up to aging? I work at Napa and should be able to get all the filters and fluids and things cheap, and anything I can get a good part number on that I can cross. I bet I could get them both for around $3k because that one guy offered $1600... Also, if I wanted to part out one of them, is there a demand for the 5 ton axles or any other parts? the second one is mechanicaly complete but the body is... less than perfect. The hood is mangled, the windshields are mangled, the roof and seats are missing, the bed is twisted and mangled, its missing its winch, but mechanically it all appears to be there. About the money to spare... well who does have that haha, but I do have the tools/equipment, and the fabrication skills. I was a Welder for a few years professionally and I kept all of my stuff.

Last edited:

ThatXJGuy

Also, What is the most likely reason these end up at the dump? What's the first thing that always goes out? I keep hearing of people driving and picking them up and driving them home with just some belts and simple things. Why do they usually break down in the first place? I also would like to know more things to check out before I buy so if there's a common thing that I should check or a list of them that would be wonderful.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Find someone that knows these trucks that is close to you, talk to and take with you to asses the trucks, we could do 3 pages on what to look for but a trained eye is what you need

It mite nelp to know where you are so you can get someone to respond that can help you

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in the United States too! Want me to go check them out? (Sarcasm of course). You will need to change that "United States" to one of the 50 states as the forum rules you agreed to, require this.

ThatXJGuy

I didn't even notice that I haven't done that yet, thanks for pointing that out. Anybody in central Wyoming? Only two people on the member map that I see even within 300miles...

So I just went and looked at the trucks again to check on a few things I thought up or read about on here, it turns out that one of them has no steering gear, pitman arm or the rod from the pitman to the little pivoting arm up front (drag link maybe? sorry, I have no Idea what the terminology for many parts of these trucks) but it still has what I believe is the huge power steering reservoir, and hoses to where the box used to be and everything. The other truck has the gear but is still missing the pitman arm and I believe the drag link too... Also, both trucks have the "triple fail" compressor that is engine oil lubricated and water cooled, and both trucks have many common modifications like the switch cluster for the lights are removed and both have the same 6 tires (missing the inner duals on the rear) both have the same stickers on the dash and both have Katz engine heaters that I recognize from my work at Napa. Anyway, here's the funny thing to me anyways, Im not sure how accurate the army was with their data tag stamping but according to the dashboards, these trucks were both delivered ON THE SAME DAY!!! 7-8-1960! All of these things together lead me to believe that these two trucks were probably "brothers" if you will, which leads me to a question for you guys; Is there a way to look up truck's specific service records? I would imagine the military keeps some sort of track of them, but I have no idea if they keep the records around or if there is access to them. It just seems like many of you know the history of your vehicles... I understand that with the "triple fail" compressors still being in their original state, they have been out of the military hands for quite some time (along with the gas engines and manual trannies of course but it seems like I heard that they modified the compressor in the 70s or something?

Anyway, any knowledge on any of this would be wonderful, I'm here for your wealth of knowledge so I can learn and hopefully contribute one of these days. Any maybe like "top 5" lists of things to check would be great too, Im still trying to figure out why these trucks are here in the first place, I don't really want to buy a truck (or two) that isn't worth fixing if there's something major wrong... I would imagine that something somewhat major would have to be wrong for them to end up in the junkyard, but on the other hand it could just be that whoever owned them after the military got something newer and dumped them for no real reason... Anyway, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

Post some pictures of these potential trucks, just dont disclose the exact location:) The 6602 is a great engine. They came stock with a Holley carb. I am told that these carbs had issues to flood and back fire through the intake while under load but if everything is set up proper they work fine. You can also go to a later Zenith designed carb and there are plenty of people that have them still NOS on the shelf.

I dont know where 5K number came from to get one running. Parts for these are much cheaper than your MF trucks being that nobody really has a interest in them anymore but for a select few........yours truly is one. You can gamble on the wheel cylinders to still be ok but right off the start, just replace or rebuild the AIRPACK. They do not like to sit neglected and will just cause problems.
Steering parts can be picked up from either the boys at White Owl or Memphis Equipment.
Yes you could part out the other truck once the better one is on the road. This year alone I have had 3 visits from people asking if I part out trucks as they are looking for military axles for mud truck builds and some will pay a pretty good price.

If you end up buying one, let me know as I already have good NAPA numbers for the parts for the engine.

ThatXJGuy

Thank you for the reply, I had trouble uploading pictures yesterday but Ill try and work that out after work today. I did notice that the two trucks have two different carbs, the truck that is most complete has a Holley, and the other I didn't identify but it is probably the Zenith. What does the air pack rebuild entail? I really have no experience in air brakes or air over hydraulic, but I have a lot of experience with drums and general hydraulic brakes.

vtdeucedriver

Thank you for the reply, I had trouble uploading pictures yesterday but Ill try and work that out after work today. I did notice that the two trucks have two different carbs, the truck that is most complete has a Holley, and the other I didn't identify but it is probably the Zenith. What does the air pack rebuild entail? I really have no experience in air brakes or air over hydraulic, but I have a lot of experience with drums and general hydraulic brakes.[/QUOTE

I have changed 4 airpacks in my years of collecting and I am now at the point to rebuild these 4. A SS member here can rebuild one with her eyes closed and she has explained some good tips in a E mail to me that I have saved. Hopefully this winter I will drop the coin to buy all 4 kits and do them all in one shot. Sounds pretty straight forward.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am at $4,000 pretty quickly off the top of my head, not saying that all this needs to be replaced but historically I am not to far off.

Brake system - $500
Master cylinder
Wheel cylinders
Hoses
Airpack
Wheel Seals, wear rings 100
Brake Shoes (If Necessary ~ $450)
Fluids (Oil, Gear etc) 150
Plugs 50
Points/Condensor 50
Tires (replacement old) 800
Carb Rebuilt Kit 50
Air Compressor 150 (replacement/rebuild)
Lights Electrical 150
Seats: 100
Radiator 200
Starter/Alternator 200
Steering 200
Belts hoses 200
Misc 500

ThatXJGuy

The first 6 pictures are of one truck and the next 2 are of the other. I also threw in two pictures of the other truck that I found which is a M135 2.5 ton.
IMG_20131019_123807.jpg IMG_20131019_171915.jpg IMG_20131019_171949.jpg IMG_20131019_172037.jpg IMG_20131019_172125.jpg IMG_20131019_172154.jpg IMAG1706.jpg IMAG1700.jpg IMG_20130821_182637.jpgIMG_20130821_182646.jpg

Last edited:

ThatXJGuy

Well I should be getting a 5 acre piece of property this week sometime and as soon as I do and I have a place to keep it I think ill be buying it and hauling it out to my house to start working on it. The junkyard never got back to me on another quote (not surprised) but I think ill just go with the $1600 they offered before if I can't offer a little less... Maybe if I get one running, ill buy the other and evaluate whether its worth fixing up or parting out. I don't think it will be going anywhere in the mean time. Ill definitely let you guys know and post pictures of the process! :)

ThatXJGuy

So update on the situation: I found another M-55 in Evanston that's missing a bed and fuel tank and a few things and needs some TLC but it RUNS and Drives, but "Needs brake work" and he's not sure what's wrong with the brakes. The guy bought the truck planning on stealing the axles for his mud truck and ran out of money and sold the mud truck. The guy says if I get it gone, he'd take $1000 so Im going down with my flatbed and my Dodge to pick it up. I will probably be buying some parts from the junkyard trucks I posted pics of. If the trucks are still there when I come up with the funds I may buy both of them and restore or part them out depending on what I find of their mechanical condition. If anybody else is interested in these trucks or parts from them, I could give you the details on their locations.