• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two M37s... good deal?

BleedDemon

So I found two M37s online about 2.5 hours from me. One has a Chevy 350 in it and the other has the original engine/trans plus a spare engine and trans. I don't believe either one is running and they come only as a package for $5,000. Would anyone here pay $5,000 for two non-running trucks? I have no interest in the truck with the V8. Would it be hard to sell that one? Would anyone here be interested in it? I'm familiar with the 350 and could most likely easily have it running (air+fuel+heat, right? haha)--a running truck brings more $$ (a running truck's worth). Is there a demand for these T245s and their trannies? If I decide to crew cab, the 350 could be sold off with whatever tranny it has.
Has anyone ever converted an M37 into a 6x6? That seems easy :rolleyes:
Any help (opinion) is greatly appreciated.

KaiserM109

Careful, engine transplants in the old Dodge 3/4 tons, military or civilian, have one problem, the axles are too weak for big horsepower. Believe it or not, the one that most often breaks is the long axle in the rear.

BleedDemon

I would much prefer to keep everything original, but not necessarily stock. I've read up on some T245 mods like aftermarket carbs, etc and would probably end up changing the axles out. Probably to some Rockwells (deuce, probably not the 5T). I'd also like to put some HEMTT wheels on said axles and some aggressive, but not insanely huge tires. I realize the drive line, from the gas cap to the tires, fails at the weakest link. As I'd increase one component's performance/capability I'd like to bring everything else up to par as well.

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

I would much prefer to keep everything original, but not necessarily stock. I've read up on some T245 mods like aftermarket carbs, etc and would probably end up changing the axles out. Probably to some Rockwells (deuce, probably not the 5T). I'd also like to put some HEMTT wheels on said axles and some aggressive, but not insanely huge tires. I realize the drive line, from the gas cap to the tires, fails at the weakest link. As I'd increase one component's performance/capability I'd like to ring everything else up to par as well.
Buahhhhhhhhhh! T245 powerplant with deuce axles and larger tires? Have you driven a M-37 with the 245. keep everything original but not stock? You might as well keep that 350 and do what you want and sell the original stuff to a local collector that does like em stock.

BleedDemon

The axles/tires/wheels aren't a necessity and probably would be a LONG way down the road. The first things I would do would be for MPG increase as it would be my daily driver once it's running. I know it's not, nor should I expect a Prius, but every little bit helps. Perhaps a ram air/snorkel mod, increased engine compartment ventilation, maybe even an auxiliary transmission. Those 589s are pretty dadgum stout.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DAILY DRIVER ? a M37 , LOL , sorry , you really need to go for a ride in one first , it will explain a LOT , save us the typing .

3dAngus

Regardless of what you do, a M37 will NEVER be a good reliable daily driver.
Buy a civy car and leave the M37s to someone who appreciates them for what they are.
Unfortunately, most of what you are talking about for a M37 is blasphemy for a historical vehicle like the M37.
I honestly don't mean to criticize you in this post so please don't take it personal, but to educate you in the finer things in life.

BleedDemon

Nobody forced y'all to read this. Nor to respond. I'm one to go against the grain in most things I do. I'm no stranger to opposition. I enjoy problem solving and learning. This seems to be a suitable project for both of those.
I asked for opinions. That's what I've gotten so far, and I hope they continue.
If your fingers aren't up to the task, by all means, lurk on. I think my biggest obstacle will be funding. I'm not currently in a position to purchase anything. I am, however in a position to research and get my ducks in a row.
I'm by no means a purist, but I am a bid nostalgic. I HATE to see things wasted and would rather see something repurposed instead of scrapped--or worse--rotting away in someone's yard/barn/field, etc. If I can save a truck with such rich history and reconfigure it to meet my needs/wants, I consider that a win-win and don't give a second thought to collectors/purists. We're all free (mostly) to do what we want and I'm thankful that our military has allowed us the ability to further the useful lifespan of these trucks.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can make a M37 a daily driver. However, it won't stay a daily driver. Between the slow speed(45-50) the lousy gas milage(6 MPG) and the absolute worst brakes of any vehicle I have ever driven, you will soon change your tune.

Pick one, fix it up, and drive it on the weekends. Take it to car shows, MV Rallys, whatnot. Sell what ever you have left. If you wait long enough, even I might have some money to spend after fixing MY M37.IMGP0363.jpgIMGP0360.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There are disk brake conversion kits for both the front and rear, there also a power brake kit, there are axle gear sets that have better road gears, there is NO reason you could not make it a DD, you would not be the first, It just takes money and time, If you do make one a Dd, install after market axles, a much heftier axle.

SteveKuhn

I tend to agree with 73M816 that changing ignition, brakes, maybe engine and transfer case can be be done. I've read some threads where each was done but it's a ton of time and money. I much prefer seeing M37s put back to either their GI condition or the CD, classic fire truck or whatever it was in its 1st incarnation out of service.

Would I spend $5K on 2 non running trucks plus some parts? Maybe - depending on the condition of components, metal and frame. And if I wasn't up to my eyeballs in fixing old Army trucks and trailers to the point of being broke for the purpose.

Steve

vtdeucedriver

Nobody forced y'all to read this. Nor to respond. I'm one to go against the grain in most things I do. I'm no stranger to opposition. I enjoy problem solving and learning. This seems to be a suitable project for both of those.
I asked for opinions. That's what I've gotten so far, and I hope they continue.
If your fingers aren't up to the task, by all means, lurk on. I think my biggest obstacle will be funding. I'm not currently in a position to purchase anything. I am, however in a position to research and get my ducks in a row.
I'm by no means a purist, but I am a bid nostalgic. I HATE to see things wasted and would rather see something repurposed instead of scrapped--or worse--rotting away in someone's yard/barn/field, etc. If I can save a truck with such rich history and reconfigure it to meet my needs/wants, I consider that a win-win and don't give a second thought to collectors/purists. We're all free (mostly) to do what we want and I'm thankful that our military has allowed us the ability to further the useful lifespan of these trucks.

WWW.G741.org
if you think your going to do something new to the M-37 that has not already been done, you need to be really creative with some deep pockets. Start searching here on the threads.

vtdeucedriver

auaI have never done the math on the MPG.............THANKS

Got my 1951 as it left the factory and May of this year she came out of barn for the summer and I am over 1,000 miles this summer and still going til nov before I put it away.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

BTW, the spare relocation is part of the M-42 Command truck. It is done up as a US Army truck from the factory and sent to Korea, then "Aquired" by a EOD Team of the USAF (reason for red fenders) and modified to suit their needs on the Kimpo Air base.

vtdeucedriver

You can make a M37 a daily driver. However, it won't stay a daily driver. Between the slow speed(45-50) the lousy gas milage(6 MPG) and the absolute worst brakes of any vehicle I have ever driven, you will soon change your tune.

Pick one, fix it up, and drive it on the weekends. Take it to car shows, MV Rallys, whatnot. Sell what ever you have left. If you wait long enough, even I might have some money to spend after fixing MY M37.View attachment 450429View attachment 450430
You did not get the 2nd one behind it???

BleedDemon

I'm a member there, too, but I haven't gotten around to digging. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to get a rugged platform and make it my own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks