• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two Piece Wheel Flange Nuts, Change?

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few of the flange nuts to attach the two wheel half's on my 2002 M1083A1 were missing and a couple were a little messed up. The TM shows the flange nuts are, NSN 5310-01-210-0199, P/N 12301125.
I ordered some nuts off -b-y and the pack came with the manufacture tag that matches the TM, NSN, P/N and cage number.
The flange nut that came are shorter and the flange is just a little smaller. The nut was the correct thread size and will screw on the stud.

Question, did the size of the flange nut change, did I get the wrong nuts or did I make a mistake in ordering the wrong part?

See attached.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A few of the flange nuts to attach the two wheel half's on my 2002 M1083A1 were missing and a couple were a little messed up. The TM shows the flange nuts are, NSN 5310-01-210-0199, P/N 12301125.
I ordered some nuts off -b-y and the pack came with the manufacture tag that matches the TM, NSN, P/N and cage number.
The flange nut that came are shorter and the flange is just a little smaller. The nut was the correct thread size and will screw on the stud.

Question, did the size of the flange nut change, did I get the wrong nuts or did I make a mistake in ordering the wrong part?

See attached.
I used to think that the NSN number made it a perfect match every time. NOT SO.
Or at least if the NSN has more than one manufacturer, possibilities for things to look "similar but different" are more common.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flange nut that came are shorter and the flange is just a little smaller.
More important would be that those you got are "self-locking" (distorted) nuts. Hard to tell from your pics...(?)
If it was me I would try to get the exact same size/type nuts. They must be out there, somewhere in the civilian world.

Besides P/N 12301125 I also got many with the P/N 12423477, if that helps any.

After having disassembled dozens of these wheels, I can confirm that the nuts all have the same Ø1.31" flange and being about 0.67" tall, even if there is a variety of markings and raised- or stamped letters and dots on the same; obviously coming from different batches/manufacturers.

Edit to add: this one is the closest I found, at McMaster-Carr...

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

More important would be that those you got are "self-locking" (distorted) nuts. ...

Edit to add: this one is the closest I found, at McMaster-Carr...
is the OEM one distorted too? Id be concerned with a distorted thread locking system. would think it would pretty quickly wear out the bolt threads.... not that you (hopefully) take them off that often...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
is the OEM one distorted too?
Yep, they all are - when new, at least. But in the practical world, that property may not last for too long; say one- or two disassembles and that's about it - especially if the studs got rusty already and nuts removed without cleaning/chasing the threads, first.
That's why these are said to be one-use-only, in theory....

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... "would think it would pretty quickly wear out the bolt threads.... not that you (hopefully) take them off that often..."

The new smaller nuts are distorted just a little shorter.

The only reason I'm taking the wheels apart (hopefully only once) is to replace the nasty UV damaged banana skins on them now. While I'm at it, I want to clean, repair and paint all the parts that need it. I'm starting with the spare and then doing one at a time until I get all 7 done.

I'm also looking around for some lug nuts.

Nothing can be simple, can it? I guess that is what makes it fun? 😁

B-Dog

I'm also looking around for some lug nuts.

Nothing can be simple, can it? I guess that is what makes it fun? 😁
Tifco.com has them for about $3/ea. You'll need to sign up to get a price. Double check the thread, they're 3/4-16, right? I can't remember for sure.

1628862810626.png

You can order some of those green indicators from there too - those are fun!

1628863128631.png

coachgeo

After having disassembled dozens of these wheels, I can confirm that the nuts all have the same Ø1.31" flange and being about 0.67" tall, even if there is a variety of markings and raised- or stamped letters and dots on the same; obviously coming from different batches/manufacturers.
off topic..... you happen to know the torque spec. on these?..... am putting a wheel together and not finding the spec.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks