• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two Questions

Papamoose

O.K. Folks, I know a lot of this has been beaten to death, but I have a couple simple questions.

One, what is the purpose of installing a remote brake fluid reservoir? Is it merely for insuring fluid level? If you have good pedal, and check it occasionally, what is the benefit?

Question two: I have about a hundred gallons of used fryer oil and 5 gallons of oil from my recent oil change. Is filtering this oil really worth the hassle to run it through as fuel? There is so much on SS about this, and it sounds very complicated and labor intensive. Is it worth the trouble?

Thoughts?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One, what is the purpose of installing a remote brake fluid reservoir? Is it merely for insuring fluid level? If you have good pedal, and check it occasionally, what is the benefit?
Not having to go through the process of getting to the master cylinder all of the time. I personally think the peace of mind of opening the hood and seeing the level is well worth it.

Question two: I have about a hundred gallons of used fryer oil and 5 gallons of oil from my recent oil change. Is filtering this oil really worth the hassle to run it through as fuel? There is so much on SS about this, and it sounds very complicated and labor intensive. Is it worth the trouble?
It's worth about $375 here in south TX at the moment since diesel is $3.75 gallon.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You LUCKY SOB!!! $3.75 a gallon!!! I wish!! In AK it is $4.35!
I actually got it for $3.62 last week but it's on it's way back up.

You pay extra for the beautiful scenary (my dad in Idaho is over $4 also) and the fact that it hasn't been at or near 100 degrees for the last 2 months.

Flyingvan911

If you are going to filter a lot of oil it will be worth making a filter set up. You can save alot of money if you have a source for free/low cost waste oil.

1) This has been covered many times, you will have to learn to do searches.

2) Make your thread heading about what is in the thread, I.E. Remote Brake Resevoir.
"2 questions" will never be searched by anyone else.
There is a "similar threads" lower on this page, that will come up when you start a thread. You will need a specific issue in your thread title for this function to work.

mikew

For me, the reason I install a remote reservoir on every truck isn't to make it easier to re-fill.

The fluid level should basically stay the same, but if it starts to go down you need to figure out why. The fluid level changing is an indicator that something is starting to leak and will be catastrophically failing at the worst possible moment, so you better fix it.

usmctopgun

For me, the reason I install a remote reservoir on every truck isn't to make it easier to re-fill.

The fluid level should basically stay the same, but if it starts to go down you need to figure out why. The fluid level changing is an indicator that something is starting to leak and will be catastrophically failing at the worst possible moment, so you better fix it.
Perfect explanation.

Truckie

:ditto:
I installed my remote reservoir after the front right brake line let go and I discovered it while going down a very steep hill in town, which I had to ride out into a local farmers field (he was very good about it). That was a adrenaline laced ride and I was very fortunate that it did not happen at an active intersection! I check my fluid level every time I go out.

Jake0147

, what is the purpose of installing a remote brake fluid reservoir? Is it merely for insuring fluid level? If you have good pedal, and check it occasionally, what is the benefit?

For me, the purpose of this is two fold.
First, it makes frequent (daily) checks much more practical. Remember that these trucks are old. Civvy vehicles would have had a LOT more brake parts installed in them. These trucks sat with DOT 5 equivalent brake fluid in them for years with open vented reservoirs. Either they were recently overhauled, or there IS corrosion inside some or all of the brake system. You don't know how much until you take it apart and start new. Most of the places that corrosion will happen involve metal to rubber sealing areas. Leaks are common. The booster design also has the unique ability to develop a leak, consume a ton of brake fluid, yet never leave a drop on the ground. Take those two items, and multiply them by the fact that it is a single outlet master cylinder, so ALL the brakes are on one circuit. Unlike modern vehicles, if you loose fluid at ANY point, you won't "loose front brakes" or "loose back brakes". The pedal simply hits the floor and you're on the roller coaster ride of your life. So in my mind, the daily (well, daily on days it's intended to be driven) checks of the fluid level are critical as an inconsistent fluid level does without fail indicate an issue developing with the brake hydraulic system.
The second reason is in the event of failure. Nearly all failures are not cleanly cut open lines, but rather a small hole developed somewhere that limits maximum pressure, and will still allow "SOME" pressure to be made for the duration of the pedal stroke. The remote reservoir in my case was made to hold just a little less than half a gallon of additional reserve fluid. That excess supply does no good until and unless there is a catastrophic failure. It's about as much as I can pump through the master cylinder during the time it takes me to downshift to a crawl and stop with the hand brake, traveling down a slight downgrade. Essentially, it extends the time that I may make use of whatever slight bit of braking may remain for a longer time than the stock reservoir, so that in the event of a failure, I have a much better chance of getting that "one last stop" out of it to get it safely to the side of the road.

These systems are not unsafe. They are simply from a different day and age, where more maintenance was accepted and expected, traffic was different, roads and speeds were different, and quite simply put, brake failures were not such a catastrophic event as they are today. As such they need more attention from the operator, and a higher level of respect than today's stuff does in order to operate in today's world.

Thoughts?
Is that ALL you have? If so, then most of the "good" filtering aparatus will be out of the question. It might be doable by a smaller scale, slower, possibly labor intensive method to get it used up. But unless the supply is ongoing, it does seem a big investment to make that stuff useable. Transferring to smaller containers (if it didn't come that way) and hand pouring through relatively inexpensive filter bags will get it done, just slowly and of course somebody's got to stand there and pour the jugs... The engine oil (A drop in the bucket I know) is a lot easier. Drain it from the engine in a CLEAN bucket, keep it CLEAN, and it can go straight in. It'll dump stuff in your stock filters, but five gallons once a year isn't going to stack up on you. It's already pretty well filtered, anything in it will be "chunkies" that probably won't make it past the pickup, but will settle to the bottom of the primary filter bowl and not bother a filter in either case. A hundred gallons of fryer oil most certainly will raise issues with the stock filters on the truck. Commercially available waste motor oil (or your own in larger volumes) will be the same, it's gonna become a maintenance nightmare keeping filters in the truck. At that level it's gotta get cleaned up very well first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks