• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

two small metal teeth on transfer case drain plug

Ronmar

That bearing is behind the C6. In order for those parts to make it out of that rear housin to the strainer, they had to pass thru the C6 clutch. I would expect when you get the C6 off the back of the trans, you will find similar damage as that documented in the thread linked above... it cost them a housing...

Zach_M1078A1

Ok, that sheds a little more light on this mystery. It appears Allison has re specced this part 2 if not 3 times.

A question I had in the other discussion was that the part number for the old bearing in the service information letter(SIL 17-WT-11en) that Langstonhs referenced, was not the same as that listed in the 24P. That pic of service information letter 29-WT-96 you posted above on the left references the old part number in the 24P for the roller thrust bearing. Its hard to read but if I read it correctly, they updated the part but kept the same (original?) P/N23015799
This also agrees with the tech manual(ch21) saying all before the S/N listed in that SIL need to be replaced during any major trans service. I put a screenshot of that manual page in the other discussion.

So here is how I read this:
1. In 1996, at S/N 6510072174, they updated P/N 23015799 with an improved roller thrust bearing But kept the same P/N. SIL 29-WT-96 directs all previous s/n transmissions to be retrofitted and further troubleshot if debris Is found at the drain (This was the first change).

2. Somewhere between 1996 and 2011, that original roller thrust part number 23015799 changed to roller thrust bearing P/N 29544806. Was it re-specified again? Is there another SIL-??-WT-?? Floating around specifying another serial number change/update point? It could also be that it changed when they introduced the 3700SP, the mostly similar follow-on to the MD3070PT...

3. In 2011, at S/N 6511014364, they released SIL 17-WT-11en, directing roller thrust P/N 29544806 was discontinued and it was to be replaced with composite thrust washer P/N 29545936.

What I get from this is that if you have a MD3070PT transmission prior to S/N 6511014364, your roller thrust bearing can be retrofitted with the composite thrust washer, as it appears that every type roller thrust they have tried in that location has had higher than expected failure rates...

I have a question into an Allison rep to clarify this, and will let you know what I find...
Have you heard back from the Allison rep yet?

Ronmar

Finally got an answer back from an Allison service center rep. He had trouble accessing info,as the Allison system was down for a bit, and was pretty busy, but he didn’t forget about me And ran the info down.

It does appear that the latest composite thrust washer P/N 29545936. Does supersede all previous C6 thrust bearing part numbers for the MD3070PT and 3700 transmissions…