• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tx. registration

chuck500cc

Used the search function to find out how the Tx. guy's got thier plates. Some have reg. as "classic veh." but I am being told you can't have them on anything over 1-ton. These are going on M35. Some insight on this would be helpful.

Chuck XD Fan

taylordc15

Flatlander

I am currently the only registered driver in Lubbock county using my bumper numbers as the plate. All I have is a sticker in my window. I also carry copies of the transportation codes to show whenever I am pulled over!

Makes for good conversation on the side of the road...

Need to mount a gun ring next!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, you don't actually have to put the sticker on the vehicle, you just need to be able to display it. In Texas Traffic Code terms that means show it to an officer upon request, so you can carry it with your other paperwork (ins., etc.).
In Texas you can register any former military vehicle from any nation, regardless of vehicle size, weight or year. This includes trailers. This is in 504.502 ss (i).

Carrying copies of the appropriate codes is a good idea, since most officers have no idea it exists for military vehicles. Sec 504.502 covers "Certain Exhibition Vehicles", with ss (F) being the part that says you can use bumper numbers. Section 548.052 ss(5) deals with the vehicle being exempt from safety inspection.
If you see any information that refers to Sec 502.275, that was repealed and replaced by 504.502 in 2003.

Cheers

Barrman

Yes to what Rory wrote. You don't put the sticker on the windshield. Just carry it with you.

The thread you were referred to above was written by me in 2007 after I switched my M715 over from regular tags to former MV tags.

Last week, I went to register my M35 with an out of state title, no "green form" from the inspection people and use the bumper numbers as my "license plate" number. I basically printed out that thread along with one I wrote very similar on the Zone. Took all my paper work, insurance card, the threads, a picture and a lunch to the tax office.

They thought it was all very funny that I brought a lunch. But, I used the info learned the first time to tell them where to go look for info in the computer. 30 minutes later and I was out the door with a Texas title in the mail and current registration that end 3/2013. Total cost was $107.05 which included the title transfer.

oldsmokey

Barrman, do you have a different link to your TX licensing post? The one above doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm looking at bidding on a truck at Ft. SamHou but I'm trying to figure out all the particulars first.

texas4wheeler

hey chuck ,i tagged mine as farm truck/tractor. only need 1 plate and real cheap to register. i drive it all over, never had any problems. most cops just wave, and the guy at the inspection place just laughed when i asked if he was going to drive it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll soon be acquiring my first MV (Based in San Angelo, TX).....

With Texas Former MV tags requiring limited use - such as Parades - what's the best strategy for a Daily Driver:?: As I see it, every time a former MV rolls out and John Q. Public gawks at it, then you've got a PARADE:!:

Any comments or experience on this:?:

Also, if you carry, rather than stick, your registration sticker - then what about the inspection sticker? I doubt that the guy at the service station would know where else "to stick it":!:

BubbaWilkins

I registered my M715 as a Former MV. Had no problems and after a year of frequent weekend driving, have never been stopped. The only sticker on the windshield is the tolltag :-D . I do keep all the relevant paperwork in the truck just in case though.

dabtl

We used to not put the sticker on the window here. Used the bumper numbers and all that.

Then my son got stopped with a machine gun and silenced pistol, all legal, when a Highway Patrol thought he had an unregistered vehicle. No problems, just do not want to be stopped unless we have to be.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best thread on this was written by Barrman, search "Texas former military registration". If you can show the girls where the fields are in the RTS computer system, you can usually talk them through the process. Barrman talks about where it is located in the RTS. You can download the application form from TXDOT website.

I've been using the "stencil" number as a plate for years on a bunch of trucks with no negative consequences.

texas4wheeler

i didnt have to walk anyone thru anything, just said need to register a farm truck, she ask whats it weight, i told her, she said ok , and gave me my plate, and i bought it in oklahoma, so i had to get a certificate of inspection first, may be differant in the city, but in the country it was easy

Maverick1701

good info!!! Hopefully I will be doing just that later this week
So I have tried reading thread after thread and ended up confusing myself...how does the SF97 tie into all this?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SF97 is "evidence of ownership", it tells the clerk you lawfully purchased the vehicle from the gov't. Since the SF97 is made out to GL in the case of auction wins, GL provides you with an "Assignment form" which allows dealers to "assign" a SF97 to someone else. You'll need these two forms, plus a form VTR130 (application for title), and the Former Military form all filled out when you go in to the tax office.

Barrman

Thanks for the kind words NDT.

Here is the thread I think people are asking for:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/9593-texas-former-military-vehicle-registration.html

Here is a very similar thread I started over on the Zone about it:

Former Military Vehicle Tags (Texas) - M715 Zone

I have had to go back and change the state links at least twice in the past few years because the state keeps changing stuff. I just checked and they work right now.

When I took the paper work in for the M35A2 last fall, the lady asked when I walked in if "you doing another military truck?" I told her I was and she called the manager over. I was getting kind of worried as the manager went to each window and said something to all the clerks. As each clerk finished up with their current customers, they shut their areas down and walked over to the window I was at. When the entire office was looking at me, the manager asked if it was alright "For the entire office to observe how to do this the right way?"

I then proceded to walk them through the process using print outs of the links above and the post I have made about it. Took about 10 minutes once they told me to tell them how to do it.

Yes, farm tags are cheaper. But, you have to inspect them. I also thought about out of state pull overs with farm tags pulling who knows what and figured the military bumper numbers would be easier to explain.

Hope this helps.

Maverick1701

The SF97 is "evidence of ownership", it tells the clerk you lawfully purchased the vehicle from the gov't. Since the SF97 is made out to GL in the case of auction wins, GL provides you with an "Assignment form" which allows dealers to "assign" a SF97 to someone else. You'll need these two forms, plus a form VTR130 (application for title), and the Former Military form all filled out when you go in to the tax office.

Thanks NDT!!!!
And thanks barrman! I will check those links out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks