• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tyre replacement with runflat

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thank you James, is there also any particular position it has to be mounted or is it simetrical? also the original goodyear tires have any particular position to install them?

thank you!
You have to make sure the correct side of the runflat faces out, then there is a little notch cut out where the valve stem enters the rim.

Tires don't really matter, but military tends to mount them so that the date code faces out. Makes the tread face one direction on one side of the truck and opposite on the other side. Non-directional tires so it doesn't matter what way they face. (also makes it so if someone comes across your tracks in a straight line they don't know what direction you were going by the tread.)

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No to both questions. The tires aren't directional although I am kinda particular on mounting them with the tread pattern looking the same on all corners.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made a mold on each rim last night. All the angles appear to be the same at the rim edges. The difference is further inside the wheel but the beads are the same.

You can also cut the exterior off of your runflat leaving only the ring that covers the wheel and makes contact with the tire bead. That would be easier to install into a new tyre.

Good luck.

Attachments

beehumvee

Hi again,

Tobash recomended me to read technical manual regarding o rings. Gow should I install them? What manual are you refering to?

Thank you

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just my .02

-There are 2 versions of 12 bolt rim, early uses a black o-ring, late uses a red o-ring.
The easiest way to know what you have is that late style has a,”centering hole“, early does not.
-Hummer H1 rims are the same as military rims, but even H1’s used early and late style 12 bolt rims.
-There are 2 versions of run flats for 12 bolt rims, early 2 piece rubber and late styel one piece rubber.
-The RF is the bead lock
-You can run with no RF, but you better not air down and go off road.
-The rim shoulder on military hmmwv rims is not of a conventional bead like normal car and truck rims, thus the reason for
bead lock.
-There are aftermarket PVC bead locks, these have been around for 20yrs And work fine for there intended purpose.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi again,

Tobash recomended me to read technical manual regarding o rings. How should I install them? What manual are you refering to?

Thank you
I also recommended that you watch YouTube videos on the subject.

You can search the Internet:

You can also search this forum for tips and tricks.

Easy Runflat removal:

Easy runflat installation:

Good Luck,

T

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
beehumvee, please read the TM's and watch the videos I posted to understand how things work.

You're asking basic questions that a little reading and a little review of this forum will answer.

The flare/wide portion at the inner aspect of the runflat device acts as a beadlock. It forces the tire bead against the rim to prevent the two from separating when running under low pressure.

beehumvee

Sorry Tobash, which Tm should I read to understand every thing?

It is a 1989 m998 what runflat model should it have?

Thank you

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dude,

You can search Google, and search this forum.

The TM's are for FREE as listed in this forum, and several other places. Then you can also search the index on the TM's.

I posted videos for you. Did you even watch them?

I recognize that English might not be your first language BUT there is also translate.google.com.

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search here for present conflict vehicles

Or just go straight here for many of the hmmwv tms

Download this tm and start on page 8-1 (781)

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks