• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U-Joint bolts...

spankybear

Well I need some new U-joint bolts... and I am having a heck of a time finding them. Now the military uses a break away type and I have only found some on the e auction place and the seller wants like 14 bucks each.... I aint doing that. I am looking for the Spicer 5-73-109 that is used with the lockstrap. I can't find anyone that has these in stocks.

In my quest I find this https://www.logsa.army.mil/psmag/archives/PS2017/773/773-16.pdf and this says not to use the ones with the lock strap.

So 1) what have you used and 2) where did you get them?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Spicer 5-279x joints do not come with the straps. That is a 1610 u joint that the LMTVs use

They will have locktite on the bolts.

Precision 333 u joint is the equal to a 5-279x joint and has the straps. It just depends on the maker not everyone of them believes in the straps.. Meritor CP16Ns can come with or without straps.

I do not use the straps on any 1610 or 1710 joint i use even in 600hp applications

the bolts themselves are simply 5/16 fine thread that are .5 inch long grade 8 or L9 whichever you want to use.

Attachments

Last edited:

spankybear

The driveline shop installed straps on the one u joint they installed. I wanted to new bolts of the other joint. Thought straps where a thing. What torque do you install and do you use blue or red loctite?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The driveline shop installed straps on the one u joint they installed. I wanted to new bolts of the other joint. Thought straps where a thing. What torque do you install and do you use blue or red loctite?
I think it's 17-23 ft*lb. Blue Loctite 273.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks