• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U-Joint phasing

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are splined. They will go in at any position. And yes, they do make big vibrations!

TedG

The drive shaft in the picture...is it also installed backwards? Short end towards transfercase...

CGarbee

One other tidbit (from the Spicer catalog/instruction manual) is to align all your zerks such that you can grease every one without have to rotate shafts/move the vehicle... One of the driveshafts on my M35A2C has one zerk that is rotated a hundred and eighty degrees from all the other ones (won't be as of this weekend when the new u-joint gets installed...) and it is a pain to lube the truck since you have to rotate the shaft in order to get to that last one...

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya know, i don't know. I was taught that that is the way to put them in 30+ years ago, never thought to ask why. let me do some digging.
CGarbee, a couple of zerks are like that on mine too. I have an 18" long flex hose on my gun. Works reel good.

TedG

I find them both both ways...so now I went out and looked at my 2500 dodge diesel 4x4. The rear does not have one and the front has one and it (slip joint) is on the drive unit side! I sure would like to know this as well...

Elwenil

Older Dodges all have the slip near the transfer case on the rear but the fronts have it at the axle. The only thing I was told was it was to keep water from collecting in the slip yoke on the rear. The front has to be at the axle because of the Double Cardan joint at the transfer case. If it means anything, when I got my Government version '84 Ramcharger, someone had put the shaft in backward and the slip yoke was indeed worn out. After replacing it and putting it back up at the transfer case, it had no noticeable wear after 60k miles.

On the subject of phasing, another point is the angle of the yokes. All the ideas about lessening your driveshaft angles on lifted trucks with shims is wrong. The angles must stay the same on both ends of the shaft or vibration will result from the U joints elliptical pattern. One cancels out the other when they are phased correctly and the angle are the same. If they are different, one move more than the other and will cause an imbalance and vibration. The only exception is when using a Double Cardan joint. In that case, the axle pinion must be rotated up to be inline with the shaft as the two joints in the Double Cardan joint at the transfer case will cancel each other out and the third must stay inline.

Just my .03

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a quick scan of the Spicer site. No mention of why the slip is a the driven end. Interesting reading.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-HVTSS.PDF

I do remember my Dad and uncle saying the same thing about water in the slip. Funnt thing, I had a '76 Dodge Power Wagon, and I remember the rear slip being at the diff??

Elwenil

Yeah it varied wildly so I just followed what I found in the manuals. If I remember right, my '74 models (W100 and W200) were supposed to be at the axle, but the '84 Ramcharger and my '88 W150 were all up top. I doubt it makes a lot of difference, but who knows?

Nice find on the Spicer PDF, Will. Thanks!

Elwenil

Typically a CV or Constant Velocity joint is a ball and cage arrangement with a boot. A Double Cardan joint is a two U-joint arrangement with a center ball pivot. A Double Cardan will take a lot more torque and is available in much larger sizes and configurations than a typical CV joint. Plus the DC joint is completely rebuildable where most CV joints must be replaced as an assembly these days.

rdixiemiller

Years ago when I was turning wrenches my boss (Korean war mechanic) told me you always put the slip yoke at the transfer case or transmission end. The reason was dirt and water would collect easier on the lower end and wear out the slip yokes. All the factory setups I saw had the slip yoke high, and I have always done mine that way.

bottleworks

Elwenil said:
Typically a CV or Constant Velocity joint is a ball and cage arrangement with a boot. A Double Cardan joint is a two U-joint arrangement with a center ball pivot.
As Cranetruck was saying...A Double Cardan joint assembly IS a Constant Velocity joint. It's the original CV joint before the Rzeppa (i.e. FWD Joint) and similar designed joints.