• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U joint problem / vibration at 55.

Swamp Rooster

Hello all.
I need a little help . I changed the ujoint in my 1031 and now it has a vibration with I hit about 55.I did mark the shaft where it comes our of the transfer case and to the shaft . I mad sure the back joint was setting well in the saddle between the tabs. What could I have done wrong ...thanks in advance , Swamp Rooster .

Drock

How did you install the joint into the driveshaft? Did you press it in, or smack it with ah hammer? You may want to check to see if it's seated into the shaft evenly, or if one of the shaft ears bent when you were installing it.

Swamp Rooster

How did you install the joint into the driveshaft? Did you press it in, or smack it with ah hammer? You may want to check to see if it's seated into the shaft evenly, or if one of the shaft ears bent when you were installing it.
I did use a hammer but have done a lot like that and never had problems .. They did not really come out hard or go in hard.. How can I check to see if that is the case ? Swamp Rooster

Drock

Well, I'd pull the shaft so you can inspect it better (eyeball down the length of it), (roll it on a flat surface). Then maybe put ah straight edge on it, over the ears to see if one or both ears could be bent. If not I'd remove the joint from the shaft (Using a vise or a press) and inspect it to make sure it has all it's needle bearings. and that the joint itself is also straight. This subject usually sparks ah debate over hammer vs press. I subscribe to the press it in method myself. A drive shaft is a delicate, balanced, component. Smacking it with hammer is counterintuitive to me. A press goes slow and steady, and less likely to dislodge the bearings or bend the ears2cents.

Swamp Rooster

Well, I'd pull the shaft so you can inspect it better (eyeball down the length of it), (roll it on a flat surface). Then maybe put ah straight edge on it, over the ears to see if one or both ears could be bent. If not I'd remove the joint from the shaft (Using a vise or a press) and inspect it to make sure it has all it's needle bearings. and that the joint itself is also straight. This subject usually sparks ah debate over hammer vs press. I subscribe to the press it in method myself. A drive shaft is a delicate, balanced, component. Smacking it with hammer is counterintuitive to me. A press goes slow and steady, and less likely to dislodge the bearings or bend the ears2cents.
I hear that , I just did not have a press to use at the time .. Swamp Rooster

glassk

Drive shafts that are NOT in phase will vibrate with the same twice per revolution vibration as a drive shaft with incorrect operating angles.
The easiest way to make sure your drive shaft is in its correct phase is to mark the tube and slip yoke every time you take it apart so you can put it back in its original orientation when you re-assemble it.Re-assembling a drive shaft out of phase is the #1 cause of torsional vibration that “all-of-a-sudden appears” in your application. If you suspect that your drive shaft is not in phase, take it to the closest Machine Service location for inspection.

http://www.machineservice.com/technical-101/vibrational-issues/

Swamp Rooster

I got it figured out . When I got the new u joint and took it out of the box it looked a little dirty . A quick look and it seemed fine, put it together , clips went in. One was a little tight . Took it all a part and found a little piece of bearing in the cape.. After picking it out I moved it around and there were at lest 5 bearings broke and in place .. May be I did it but I doubt it ... Never the less it is fixed and working great .. Thanks for the replies ... Swamp Rooster.