• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U-joint replacement PN

DarkSeas

Hey y'all,
Back at it. Dropped the front driveshaft to get a clear view to drill out the broken starter bolt and whaddya know, the u-joints haven't seen oil in probably 25 years. Needle bearings fell apart. I want to replace all the u-joints, figure the rest are about the same. I'm looking at TM 20P section 71-1 for the front shaft and 74-1 for the rear. (pdf pg. 162 and 167) and I'm seeing is PN 386451 for where the front shaft meets the differential, and 7806140 for the rest, is this correct, or am I reading this totally wrong? Are there equivalent Spicer part numbers/kits I could go with? I can't find these parts when I'm looking them up, and the guys at my local parts store (advance) looked at me like I was crazy when I came in for starter bolts last week. I attached the 4 diagrams for ease. Didn't realize there were so many options :shrugs:Thanks in advance!

Attachments

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey y'all,
Back at it. Dropped the front driveshaft to get a clear view to drill out the broken starter bolt and whaddya know, the u-joints haven't seen oil in probably 25 years. Needle bearings fell apart. I want to replace all the u-joints, figure the rest are about the same. I'm looking at TM 20P section 71-1 for the front shaft and 74-1 for the rear. (pdf pg. 162 and 167) and I'm seeing is PN 386451 for where the front shaft meets the differential, and 7806140 for the rest, is this correct, or am I reading this totally wrong? Are there equivalent Spicer part numbers/kits I could go with? I can't find these parts when I'm looking them up, and the guys at my local parts store (advance) looked at me like I was crazy when I came in for starter bolts last week. I attached the 4 diagrams for ease. Didn't realize there were so many options :shrugs:Thanks in advance!
[/QU
Hey y'all,
Spicer 5-795x front driveshaft at transfer case. Spicer SPL55-3x Front axle at wheels. Spicer 5-1350x rear driveshaft at rear axle. Spicer 5-1310x front drive shaft at front axle. Verify!

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey y'all,
Spicer 5-795x front drive shaft cv at transfer case. Spicer SPL55-3x front axle at wheels. Spicer 5-1350x rear drive shaft at axle. Spicer 5-1310x front drive shaft at front axle. Verify

DarkSeas

Spicer 5-795x front drive shaft cv at transfer case. Spicer SPL55-3x front axle at wheels. Spicer 5-1350x rear drive shaft at axle. Spicer 5-1310x front drive shaft at front axle. Verify
Thanks for the feedback ezgn. Super helpful. [thumbzup]

So if I'm understanding you correctly, front wheels to front axle I'll need 2 Spicer SPL55-3x ujoints, one for each side. The front driveshaft to the front diff takes 2 ujoints, a Spicer 5-1310x at the front axle and a Spicer 5-795x where the front driveshaft connects to the transfer case. The rear driveshaft looks like it takes 2 of the same ujoints - so I'm gonna assume I need two Spicer 5-1350x, one for each end of the driveshaft. Is that correct?

I'm assuming this is considering everything is stock - I'm not 100% sure if the axles are original. Is there a way I can take out the u-joints and get them checked out? I don't trust my local advance auto people whatsoever, they already tried selling me the wrong starter bolts and I had to catch and correct them.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So if I'm understanding you correctly, front wheels to front axle I'll need 2 Spicer SPL55-3x ujoints, one for each side. The front driveshaft to the front diff takes 2 ujoints, a Spicer 5-1310x at the front axle and a Spicer 5-795x where the front driveshaft connects to the transfer case. The rear driveshaft looks like it takes 2 of the same ujoints - so I'm gonna assume I need two Spicer 5-1350x, one for each end of the driveshaft. Is that correct?

I'm assuming this is considering everything is stock - I'm not 100% sure if the axles are original. Is there a way I can take out the u-joints and get them checked out? I don't trust my local advance auto people whatsoever, they already tried selling me the wrong starter bolts and I had to catch and correct them.
I believe you have an M1008 and not a m1009. Those U-joints are for a truck. I believe there are four u joints to do 7 locations on your vehicle, so you should be correct. If you google, U-joint repacement kit 1980-1987 chevrolet K-30 4WD - Moog , they have everything you need to know about your job. There kit is $197. There are 4 u-joints to do 7 or 8 locations depending on your application, in your case it should be 7. The Spicer joints I gave you are lifetime non greaseable heavy duty that I thought were better. Amazon has them on their website. Verify!

DarkSeas

I believe you have an M1008 and not a m1009. Those U-joints are for a truck. I believe there are four u joints to do 7 locations on your vehicle, so you should be correct. If you google, U-joint repacement kit 1980-1987 chevrolet K-30 4WD - Moog , they have everything you need to know about your job. There kit is $197. There are 4 u-joints to do 7 or 8 locations depending on your application, in your case it should be 7. The Spicer joints I gave you are lifetime non greaseable heavy duty that I thought were better. Amazon has them on their website. Verify!
Yes, correct, I've got a M1008. I've been eyeing Spicer products for their lifetime warranty, that's some good peace of mind. 7 locations - I'm missing one then. Two at the front axle, two at the front driveshaft, two at the rear driveshaft. Which one am I missing?

Edit: Wait I'm stupid, there's 3 on the front driveshaft, two where the front shaft meets the t-case. That makes 7, that's the one I was missing.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Be careful when getting parts...use the TM and get part numbers and look them up yourself...if they have a quality brand then buy it online with the discount and pick it up at the store.

DarkSeas

Be careful when getting parts...use the TM and get part numbers and look them up yourself...if they have a quality brand then buy it online with the discount and pick it up at the store.
I was using the TM part numbers and looking it up, but was coming up empty. Figured I'd ask and see if anybody knew the Spicer equivalent part numbers. I will go back into the TMs and do some more research when I get home.

ssdvc

Check to see what NAPA, AutoZone or any other parts store has listed for your application. I believe for the 1008, the K30 is the same setup, but someone correct me if I am wrong. The drivetrains are really nothing special or different from a civi truck made in 1984. Make sure to get the U-joints for an automatic trans, as they are different for manual (ask me how I know).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks