• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U.S. Citizen living abroad: How to proceed in auction??

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: U.S. Citizen liv

According to the way I read the law, an MV is always an MV, just as an M-14 is always a machine gun, even with the selector ground off. They remain their original configuration until they are melted, or at least that is what the government is claiming. As for being an 'exporter', anyone who moves anything of value from one country to another without the intent to take or send it back in a fairly short period of time, is an exporter, whether licensed or not. Try mailing a package (of anything) out of country - it has to have a customs form on it or the shipper will not accept it for cartage. Household items that move 'overseas' when you do are generally given a bit more lattitude, but they still want a detailed manifest, and any item on the Munitions List must have the BIS approval (State and Defense departments essentially), period! Even applies to an 1816 flintlock musket (US marked). I have to have a permit to take a WWII EE-8 field phone to Europe for re-enactments (and need those documents to get them back into the US).

M725

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: U.S. Citizen liv

If the Mexican guards caught it, “Im an American” is going to be replied to with “and I’m a Mexican, thanks for the truck, were seizing it, now walk home”…

I was told they do and will with anything that looks military. I have a friend that buys school buses and drives them thru Mexico. He told me they don't care why you have it, they just take it! Some thing about the rebels running loose down there not to get in to details. If you do end up being able to take one , If I where you it is best to ship it.
You talked about the rules on taking one out of the U.S., how does Costa Rica feel about you shipping a Military truck to their country? What are there import rules? I'm sure they have the same problems as Mexico.

BIGDDV

we have a similar problem, we are a non profit ministry wanting to take fmv's to honduras to drill water wells. the truck will not be sold, but may not come back for a while. saw a possible temp export license for less than 4 years if not changing ownership but not sure who to apply with

motorider

If the Mexican guards caught it, “Im an American” is going to be replied to with “and I’m a Mexican, thanks for the truck, were seizing it, now walk home”…

I was told they do and will with anything that looks military. I have a friend that buys school buses and drives them thru Mexico. He told me they don't care why you have it, they just take it! Some thing about the rebels running loose down there not to get in to details. If you do end up being able to take one , If I where you it is best to ship it.
You talked about the rules on taking one out of the U.S., how does Costa Rica feel about you shipping a Military truck to their country? What are there import rules? I'm sure they have the same problems as Mexico.
So has no one taken their truck into Mexico on vacation. I'm looking for a duece to take camping, but now I'm getting a little concerned. I travel into Mexico regularly and have not had a problem, but I tend to stick to myself. I was under the impression that if I'm going down for camping, that I'm not importing my truck, camping supplies or even gun (you have to jump through some hoops for hunting down in Mexico)
Is this really the case that they are just going to take my truck? Seems a little odd.

jaymcb

It probably depends on how "FMV" it looks...desert tan or full camo, probably a bad idea.

People need to understand that different countries are different countries, and we cannot and should not expect to apply our US freedoms (like FMV ownership) elsewhere.

We should never take our freedoms here for granted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks