• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U.s. Forest service m1008 or m1028 ?

optitrader66

I won this truck and wondered wich did the u.s. Forest service use m1008 0r 1028 or is it just a guess until picked up ? Truck looks good in photo's and looks to have air condition and larger tires but stated motor and transmission problems but problems unknown. I'm hoping for the best and will pick her up on tues .

Attachments

91W350

I do not know the answer to your question, but what have they built on the front? Looks like a great start for a winch mount. Glen

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won this truck and wondered wich did the u.s. Forest service use m1008 0r 1028 or is it just a guess until picked up ? Truck looks good in photo's and looks to have air condition and larger tires but stated motor and transmission problems but problems unknown. I'm hoping for the best and will pick her up on tues .
They used whatever they could get, which tended to be both, although typically more M1008's than M1028's. Check the NSN on the Mfr plate on the door jamb when you get it. If the last 4 digits = 6827 or 2671, it's a 1008 or 1008A1.

niferous

I think that is a winch mount. Looks like it's missing it's batteries. Hopefully that will be the extent of your engine problems :-D.

Boatcarpenter

On the front, possibly a winch mount; or, being Forest Service, a place to put a gas powered pump so they could pull up to a water source, hook it up and start pumping.
My.02.
BC

optitrader66

Well I picked her up ,she was a m1008. Put in two batteries and found the push button for the glow plugs and she fired right up and runs realy smooth and quiet, hardly any rattles, transmission would not go into any gear so I dropped the pan and the filter and pickup tube had fallen down .new filter and o-ring on tube and this baby runs like new . the air condition blows good and cold .
the white paint will soon be replaced with camo .
ps; :eek: GSA leaves forklift marks just like GL. :!:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great deal. What did you pay for that one. See if you can find anything on the A/C. We have one at work that has the same compressor mounting system. They know me and won't let me near ours.

Matt65

Mine came from the Ga Forestry Service as well. My door stickers have been removed. I still have the front red bow tie as well. It's been a good truck and given me no trouble.

optitrader66

Nice looking truck ,Mine turned out to run realy smooth after I replaced starter and glowplugs {it had 12 volt starter and glowplugs}, and I put the filter and pickup tube back in place in transmission{it had fallen down and wouldn't pick up fluid}
Truck runs realy smooth and shifts great and the air conditioning is awesome [thumbzup]

davo727

Thanks, im going to analyze those pics and look at my truck,

I have a couple of sanden ac compressors laying around here and with the 8 mount lugs they have it shouldnt be terribly hard to mount one up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks