• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U.S.S. Kitty Hawk FS

DeuceNewb

I'm down in wilmington and would love if it came. If we do get it, the battleship and thie KH would take up space next to each other a little down river. It would be sweet, and much better than giving our **** away to foreign countries. We can't sell a deuce to someone in mexico but they can sell whatever they want to whoever?

Sken

I feel fortunate to have the old Yorktown here in Charleston. I get to see her every day on my way to work, and it is a great place to visit, climb around in, and feel the history.

Unfortunately, it takes a lot of money just to slow the decay down to a reasonable level even on a static display ship. The Patriot's Point group that owns her is borrowing millions from the state just to keep her going. It takes more than a few dedicated volunteers and museum admission to pay for even the most basic maintenance. I know you guys that served can testify to what effort it takes every day just to fight corrosion.

I think I would rather see the Kitty Hawk serve a friendly country than become a tax liability or scrap while there is still life in her.

DanielP

I heard that the DOD wants to give the carrier to India for free, but India would have to buy the planes, parts, radar, training, etc. The idea is to prop India up a bit to be a counterbalance to China.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I heard that the DOD wants to give the carrier to India for free, but India would have to buy the planes, parts, radar, training, etc. The idea is to prop India up a bit to be a counterbalance to China.
That is what I have read, also. Give them the ship and they will pay to refurbish it and all the F/A-18's, helos, and other aircraft for it.

nkawtg

OK, not going to India....but emotions aside, you could see why the DoD would want to. Considering what the EPA makes them do/pay before scrapping or sinking for a reef, the ability to just give it away would be huge. Currently, there are many US ships waiting for scrapping, but the cost is too high. Can't scrap outside the US either.......

They'll just add it to the others......although these are "mothballed" and in somewhat good shape, I don't suspect they will ever sail under their own power again......:cry:
Most would go to scrap if the money was there.

Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet

wvhillbilly

No way

I was E-6 USMC assigned to the Kitty Hawk as part of the ships MarDet in 1988. I would prefer the KH retired in the U.S.A. HOO-RAH.......!!!!:-D

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe we could all chip in and buy it and put it in someones back yard pond!!! Sure would beat that guy that has a train car in his back yard!! :shock: :cookoo:
Hey! It's not in my backyard, it's still on active rails... :twisted:

I am torn. I would love to see her stay in the USA, but as a former ship engineer, and 'machine whisperer', I believe every piece of machinery (no matter what it is or what it's in) deserves to run. I tour the USS Yorktown all the time. I just hear all the machinery calling out to me... I just want to bring a couple of matches and bring the boilers online, maybe spin up a gen or two. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

A ship should be plowing the ocean. Period. But I would rather a museum over a reef or scrap to feed China's growing military.

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Then there is always this :cry:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCkf3ogkFxo[/media]

This was my second ship, decommissioned in 94, sat in Suisun Bay till last year. I did many cruises with Kitty Hawk, on all 4 of the ships I served in over 21 years.

Last edited:

datsunaholic

A target is better than the end my ship met- at the end of a scrapper's torch.

A few of the ship museums do try to exercise some of the equipment. While none of them light off boilers or cycle the main propulsion engines (except the Merchant Marine ship museums like the SS Jeremiah O'Brien or the SS John W Brown, who actually go and cruise), several have reactivated the emergency diesels. Some of the Sub museums keep the main engines in running condition (or some of them, with parts of the non-ops used as spares). Most of the others, the Navy scavenged too many pieces for the equipment ever to be brought back online, and any spares or the parts that could be used to complete the cannibalized equipment went to the scrapper years ago.

It'd be extremely satisfying to see some of the old great WWII museum ships steam under their own power again, but aside from the logistics of making it possible, I doubt the State Department would allow it to happen.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
They have enough of a project keeping the USS NC from rusting away. Also they are still restoring it. I dont think theres enough money around that area to support 2 ships , one of them being twice as big.

Brentzilla

They have enough of a project keeping the USS NC from rusting away. Also they are still restoring it. I dont think theres enough money around that area to support 2 ships , one of them being twice as big.
:ditto: NC is having its own budget nightmare, but I wish it could stay here.

As far as someone's comment about not wanted to give India a nuclear carrier in the future.....they already have nuclear weapons so I don't see that as an issue

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks