• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U-turn wobble

admiralking

My '79 Dodge M880 has a distinct wobble when I make a u-turn, even at slow speeds. I have 75R16's on it with the standard suspension. Has anyone ever encountered this issue? Any suggestions for a fix?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356724526.809220.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1356724569.589143.jpg

N1265

I am running 265/75R16's on my '77 and I do not notice a wobble on my truck. I would jack up the front end and check for worn wheel bearings and suspension parts...

CycleJay

Good to hear that. Then I would check the other front end suspension components for wear, as the other poster suggested.

Just wondering, IF the shocks were bad, could they cause that problem?

Just my $0.02 cents...

MT4222

Could it be uneven wear in the tires? Maybe the wheel bearings are bad and not rotating properly with the vehicles weight is being distributed differntly when making a U-turn. Just an idea. Goodluck.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Define the wobble.
Is it felt in the steering wheel only? - Normal with a U-joint front axle in a sharp turn.
or is it the whole truck? - bent or loose wheel, broken belt in tire, on the right front maybe???

Scarecrow1

I had a similar problem that never went away and like you I looked for everything that it could be. I finally ended up wearing them down and bought a new set .......you guessed it the problem went away it was the tires not the truck. I never new why, it may have been something in the side wall but you couldn't tell it by looking . Good luck in finding it mine was more of a pain than a danger so I just lived with it . But make sure the lugs are tight that is a problem another member found out to late and it happens believe it or not .......

Last edited:

bad rat nailhead

Axle u-joints very common problem 1 bearing sticks and it is hard to turn and causes wheel to fight back and forth. pull out axle shafts and make sure they move freely in all directions

Elwenil

Keep in mind that your truck is full time 4WD. It is not going to make sharp turns as smoothly as a part time 4WD truck would. If you have a limited slip differential in the rear axle, it can also grab causing a vibration on sharp turns, especially if limited slip additive was not put in the axle when the gear oil was last changed.
I'm going to assume you know your truck is not an actual M880 series as it's a '79 model and M880s were only made in '76 and '77.

admiralking

Keep in mind that your truck is full time 4WD. It is not going to make sharp turns as smoothly as a part time 4WD truck would. If you have a limited slip differential in the rear axle, it can also grab causing a vibration on sharp turns, especially if limited slip additive was not put in the axle when the gear oil was last changed.
I'm going to assume you know your truck is not an actual M880 series as it's a '79 model and M880s were only made in '76 and '77.
Elwenil,

Thanks for the info. Here is the placard on the dash:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357065016.729019.jpg

I did assume it was an M880... Am I wrong?

Elwenil

Yes, the NP203 is full time 4WD but it is equipped with a center differential in the transfer case that allows you to drive in 4WD on pavement without binding by allowing the front axle to travel at a different speed than the rear axle. If the shifter is put into one of the Loc positions, it locks the center differential tying the front and rear axle together so they both travel at the same speed like a normal part time 4WD when the hubs are locked and the transfer case is engaged. This can cause binding and a weird walking wobble when making turns. The transfer case should never be in the Loc position on pavement or other high traction surfaces. Also the "Loc" position is not to be confused with axle differential traction aids commonly called "lockers" as they are completely different applications.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks