• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U1300L’s

peakbagger

I’m wondering how many U1300L’s are owned by members in the US.
Do you have one?
I have a 1300L. It was the absolute tail end of the German military run Ambulance so it has got the 1350 transmission with beefier synchros and a few other 1350 parts along with the OM 366L turbo engine and the "fast axles" that came with the 366L (early 1300s had the OM 352 and are far smokier) I swapped the Ambulance body for a cargo body as the Ambulance body is quite heavy. If know a lot of people build campers with the Ambulance body but its way overkill, far better to start from scratch with lightweight materials like the various pro camper suppliers do. I have far more use for the cargo body and the difference in acceleration and aerodynamics compared to the Ambulance is notiicable. As i did not change the springs its sprung heavy and it rides far better with a ton in the back. I kept the rear anti sway bar from the ambulance.

With the obvious maximum speed limitation, (55 MPH max flat and level) its far more of a "normal" vehicle than my SEE. I have an overdrive in a crate but have not installed it, but it would quiet the engine down cruising, maybe save a bit of diesel and pick up a few MPH. The big upgrades would be getting the injection pump tuned up adding an intercooler. Its just the hassle factor of getting the intercooler and the new hood from England to do so.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m wondering how many U1300L’s are owned by members in the US.
Do you have one?
I have one, 1988, OM366A, fast axles (fire truck) plus Claas OD. Great trucks. I simply set an Alaskan camper in mine. An Alaskan ten foot no cab-over works perfectly. Power-wise I can't tell the camper is there but it cost about 1 mpg on fuel, totally acceptable. I retired mine from camping/travel when I discovered LMTV! The Unimog got twice the mileage!!

flatwerx

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one, 1988, OM366A, fast axles (fire truck) plus Claas OD. Great trucks. I simply set an Alaskan camper in mine. An Alaskan ten foot no cab-over works perfectly. Power-wise I can't tell the camper is there but it cost about 1 mpg on fuel, totally acceptable. I retired mine from camping/travel when I discovered LMTV! The Unimog got twice the mileage!!
Do you like the LMTV better for camping/travel? Whats your opinion on off-roading the LMTV to remote camping and the on-road manners to get the trailhead vs the Mog?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LMTV is not even close to the trail/offroad capability of the U1300 even with the camper so my decision was made for other reasons. When a large camper is added to a Unimog, even the low impact Alaskan, the places the Unimog could, or more correctly would, be taken are greatly reduced.

The LMTV is good offroad up to the point of needing lockers.

There's the mechanical consideration, and the convenience consideration. The first mechanical downside of a Unimog for highway travel, even one with fast axles and overdrive, is the portals. They wear out, especially with the tendency of this model U1300 to lose front portal lube out through the vent system. We put about 100k km on our U1300 with only one replacement, but still a constant concern. Second, any failure of a Unimog camper during distance travel becomes a transportation nightmare. Can't flat tow it, can't lift an end and drop a driveshaft or pull an axle. Either fix it where it broke, or try to find a double drop hauler (height/clearance). And then where do you take it to work on it, yourself.

The Unimog does get about 14 mpg with the camper and has a much more comfortable cab with air conditioning.

Why an LMTV? Drivability. Getting older, I like the automatic (I know, blasphemy) because of ease of shifting, and for better stop and go performance. Unimogs are slow. The LMTV is not. My preferred top speed is about the same. First upgrade to it was 3.07's and I found the reduced engine and drivetrain speed to be adequate. (Now I am evaluating the ECO Hub on another truck). Mileage about 8.5 with the 3.07's.

Probably bottom line is that the LMTV goes anywhere I want to haul a camper, is towable, can be repaired at big truck shops, Allison or CAT shops. Our longest LMTV ride was about 4500 miles and I was much more relaxed than if I had been in the mog.

flatwerx

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tennmogger, I appreciate the info. I’m picking up an M1078 next week but always loved Unimogs. It’s good to hear from someone who has both.
Would you ever do Eco Hubs on the truck in conjunction with 3.07 gears?

roverchef

I have both a U1300 camper w/ high speed axles+fast portal gears and a 1078 with 3.07+eco hubs. It's not apples to apples with these guys. They both have their pros/cons and they both are fantastic rigs. I've done a few engine mods to both trying to get to that "unicorn speed & mileage" which I feel has been achieved. I run them both @ 65-70mph all day and return 15-18mpg with the Mog and 8-15mph with the LMTV(my right foot is definitely fatter when driving an automatic). These mileage rates are over the course of 1yr and 10k miles. If you do your preventative maintenance and pre-trip inspections you should not have to worry about being stranded. That being said...I could carry my entire shop worth of tools and spares but in the end there are still certain things you just can't fix or replace in a wallyworld parking lot.

peakbagger

Bought mine from Geroge at the Unimog Center in NH. UnimogCenter – Unimog information, specs and for sale The picture is from when he brought in several of the ambulances. He used to the German auctions and only bought them if he liked what he saw. He sells them all over the US.

Vermont Unimog has a very nice looking website but no on I have talked to has ever been able to get them to answer the phone or emails.

peakbagger

@peakbagger do you know what happened to this individual? He seemed to have fallen off the earth or went out of business.
Not sure which one you are referring to. George at Unimog Center is still around. His inventory varies depending on how often he makes it to Europe.

As for Vermont Unimog, I have been interested in Unimogs for 10 plus years and tried contacting them for several ears, to date they have never returned a call or responded to an e-mail. They update the website periodically. The other Unimog owner I know nearby has had the same lack of response. Strange that two people who have bought several unimogs between us who do not live that far away are unable to contact them.

flatwerx

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@flatwerx
What year M1078 are you getting? The A0's are more "mechanical" than their latter brothers and sisters having less computers/sensors to leave you stranded.(I'm sure you know this already)
I appreciate the info!
It’s a 98 (3116).
Went back and forth with the 3116 and 3126. May get a 3126 someday.
I was nervous about the Unimog’s portal axles as this is an expedition build so hwy miles and 60/65 speeds will happen. It’s good to hear yours with a camper can do that all day without issue.
Maybe I’ll do a Mog one day haha .. They’re a bit more in price for a well sorted out one compared to an LMTV/FMTV.

319cssb

I’m talking about George Bull. Several people have tried to contact him via phone or email.
The other website looks the same kind of a cricket concert.
But that’s neither here or there. This thread is about who owns a U1300L, not FMTV or companies and individuals who once sold Unimogs.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tennmogger, I appreciate the info. I’m picking up an M1078 next week but always loved Unimogs. It’s good to hear from someone who has both.
Would you ever do Eco Hubs on the truck in conjunction with 3.07 gears?
Flatwerx, I am happy with the 3.07 ratio by itself and would not consider adding the eco hubs to the 3.07. Even with the 3.90 with eco hubs I feel a less positive shift in the Allison if under load (steep hill, towing). I don't like a soft shift and guess the ECO on top of the 3.07 might exacerbate the slow shifting. Must add though that the ECO hubs with the original 3.90 ratio is a fantastic combination for my-less-than-maximum loaded truck.

roverchef

@319cssb
I've had this Mog for 7yrs.
It was a 1990 Krankenwagon fully dressed when I got it. I didn't care about the weight...I just wanted something as close to "bear proof" as I could get.
I'm glad I kept it cause over the years I've seen the composite camper boxes opened up like tuna cans from large fuzzy critters.
I grabbed it @ auction in the Netherlands when I was over there hunting for clean Gwagons and Defenders.

@peakbagger
You can get an aftermarket intercooler here in the states if you are crafty and then you don't have to change the hood or lift-block the cab.
You used to be able to "rent" the calibration tools to turn up the pump from Scott @ EI or you could pull it and send it to Mr Couch and he'll do all the work for you.

peakbagger

@319cssb
I've had this Mog for 7yrs.
It was a 1990 Krankenwagon fully dressed when I got it. I didn't care about the weight...I just wanted something as close to "bear proof" as I could get.
I'm glad I kept it cause over the years I've seen the composite camper boxes opened up like tuna cans from large fuzzy critters.
I grabbed it @ auction in the Netherlands when I was over there hunting for clean Gwagons and Defenders.

@peakbagger
You can get an aftermarket intercooler here in the states if you are crafty and then you don't have to change the hood or lift-block the cab.
You used to be able to "rent" the calibration tools to turn up the pump from Scott @ EI or you could pull it and send it to Mr Couch and he'll do all the work for you.
Thanks, I need to get a large enough garage to be able to work on one year round.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks