• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ugly Trucking Disk Brakes

cosmic339

actually i dont got the stock drivetrain its a chevy 283 and im guessing the stock transmission i havent been able to see my truck yet it just arrived my house yesterday but i wont take leave till december 1. I really cant wait to get started on it but anyways im wondering did you just fab out your mounts for the spring hanger? i have very little welding experience and wouldnt like to do those mounts myself i wonder how much should someone charge me to make those mounts ? what pitarm did you use it? did you use the same sterring box?

nattieleather

I made the hanger for the spring but you can take the hanger off the truck and just bump it out with some box tubing and bolt it back up.

I'm using the power steering gear box from a M880 also (1978 Dodge W200) I'm in the process of hooking all that up right now. Truck is not on the road yet as I'm still in the fabrication stage before I take it all apart and then starts the media blast prime paint phase and then the reassemble rebuild phase...I have a long way to go.

If you do a search for power steering for the M37 you will find some information about it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got an email from Ray, He is still in business and can ship in the next month (then he'll be gone for a little bit).

billyzz

Rear axle replacement is easy almost a bolt in job. Front Axle is the PITA! You have to modify either the axle or the spring to make it work. It can be done though. Of course if you take a good look at rays brake system one could replicate it if they have a machine shop that will do that kind of work for them. Or maybe it's time for someone to reinvent the wheel so to speak and develop a new disk brake kit....
I do have a machinist.
I just have to figure out what I need him to do.
I would like to duplicate rays kit just for myself

billyzz

If i could find the measurements for the hub machining needed and the ears or arms ,brackets whatever you call them.
My buddy and i would knock two sets out real quick.
One set for each of us.

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made my own and may have some dimensions. I should have some info for you, but will have to see where I put it.

Frank

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
image0.jpgimage0.jpg

The PWA article is the original disc conversion. It had the caliper ears welded to the knuckle. This was later changed to having the ears mounted on a separate plate that bolted to the 5 holes as the backing plate did. The hub sketch reflects this change (2.5 dimension). The rotor mounting plate has to be machined after welding to true it up with the bearings, this is done with an arbor that pilots on the bearing cups.

Frank

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks