• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UH-1H Huey vehicle dismantlement and extraction

AZORRAT

Kind of a cool project I just did in north western AZ last week. This person cross country traveled to the top of a archilogical sensitive mountain area and was told it was not going to be driven out, nor towed out. So that’s we’re i come in and take it apart and fly it down with a Huey. 0900 the morning of the pick operation you could hear the distinctive thwop of the rotors about 6 miles out, and to my amazement when in near proximity that sound goes away, but it’s got one heck of a rotor wash compared to the Bell Jetranger we usually use to do these projects. Oh, and I got a ride down the mountain in it :) and in the fuselage it’s also quieter than the Jetranger. We could talk with out com headsets. Sorry for some low-res, haven't uploaded GoPro yet. Last pic is the Huey's first roll after being demilitarized in 1996 as a North Carolina Highway Patrol air unit. Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, I'm kind of confused.

He drove to an area that was waaaay off limits, but in the picture of the truck from the drivers side, the front tire is deflated and the bead is broken and the rear tire looks non existent.

Did he drive up there and screw up the tires, then come looking for help, thus alerting the authorities, was he caught and in preparation for removal the tires messed up, etc.?

AZORRAT

So, I'm kind of confused.

He drove to an area that was waaaay off limits, but in the picture of the truck from the drivers side, the front tire is deflated and the bead is broken and the rear tire looks non existent.

Did he drive up there and screw up the tires, then come looking for help, thus alerting the authorities, was he caught and in preparation for removal the tires messed up, etc.?
The driver was a woman who ended up getting high centered, spun the tire till it caught fire, and called 911 because she was stuck and cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chevy trucks are pretty tough, but that terrain looks impossible for nearly anything wheeled.

CombatJack

So driving one vehicle out is a no-no, but driving 2 or more in to do this work, then drive them back out is ok?? That sounds EXACTLY like the kind of nonsense i expect from this government.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the other trucks shown at the pick-up site, or the drop-off site? My guess is the other trucks are at the site where the disassembled truck was dropped off by the helo. What did this recovery cost the owner?

AZORRAT

I’m not sure where the confusion is, but the government trucks are my recovery company trucks at the drop site. Hence the reason we used a Helo and didn’t tow it out. Yes insurance covered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sergeant1983

Single Engine All Weather Freedom Fighter to the rescue! To bad there was not a military unit in the area needing sling load training. I was a Huey Crewchief and the Huey does have a low external capacity compared to Hawk or Chinook. Might of even been able to do an internal load with a CH-47.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks