• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uh oh.. leaking front axle

CanonNinja

After some playing offroad this weekend, and a few panic braking incidents (stupid drivers on the freeway), noticed about a 6" wide puddle of grayish water/grease/sand mix on the ground. Smells faintly like gear oil (slight sulfur odor) and noticed the rubber boot on the back of the hub assembly is wet and appears to be leaking there.

What did I screw up this weekend? :(

acetomatoco

torn boot and running in water means there is stuff in hub... get a new boot on there...after you clean it thoroughly.. and recoat the surfaces with GAA.... ACE

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have a inner axle seal leaking. Not to mention a bad boot. Let the truck sit a few days then change the diif oil. Hopefull the water will settle to the bottom and you get it all out. Changing the seal ins'nt a big deal. I have the puller to get the seal holder out of the axle housing if you need it. The seal # is 450074. Houston bearing on Ih-10 at north sheperd has them.

jwaller

I just posted some pics of my offroad adventure that resulted in grey matter in my boots. check the other axle seal thread for pics.

CanonNinja

ken said:
Sounds like you have a inner axle seal leaking. Not to mention a bad boot. Let the truck sit a few days then change the diif oil. Hopefull the water will settle to the bottom and you get it all out. Changing the seal ins'nt a big deal. I have the puller to get the seal holder out of the axle housing if you need it. The seal # is 450074. Houston bearing on Ih-10 at north sheperd has them.

Ken, you're the man. I'm in Sugar Land, so if I can borrow that, or even better and get an extra set of hands to help, I'd owe you a lot more than your choice of malt beverage. This week is goign to be murder on me, already planned to do the oil/fuel filters and flush the coolant system on top of pulling the radiator and fixing it.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be glad to give you a hand. This weekend is booked. But let me know when your ready.

mucekok

can't imagine what you were doing to get sand in there... haha. would suggest going with the one piece axle boots when you go to change them. just did that along with the wheel bearings on mine. no leaks so far...

CanonNinja

mucekok said:
can't imagine what you were doing to get sand in there... haha. would suggest going with the one piece axle boots when you go to change them. just did that along with the wheel bearings on mine. no leaks so far...

funny you mention that.. because the side not leaking, is one piece.. the leaker is a zipper boot.. go figure... luckily it hasn't leaked any more, so I might just try to fix the boot and see what's behind it.. either way, all new seals/gaskets are on the way

mucekok

in theory--any assembly that holds fluid should leak. this is how you know it still has fluid in it! by the way, that's not MY theory. and if your engine oil dipstick doesn't show oil, order a longer one!!!