• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uh-oh: Water+Spur Gears

erasedhammer

I was changing the oil on my geared hubs after some off roading and as soon as the drain plug came out, I knew something was going to be broken/worn in the hub. Oil came out grey, which as far as I can tell is water mixed in with the oil. In addition to the water oil small amount of metal bits came out with the oil, which I can only assume was from the spur gears.

The culprit of the problem was the vent line got stuck on one of the cable clamps and pulled of the hub in a turn. Water came right in.

Now with this kind of damage, I have to ask which would be a better option. Rebuild the hub? Or replace it all together?

If replace the hub, where could I get one? All I can find online is hummer hubs or 12k hubs for 1500+. Bluehummer outfitters has a rebuild kit, which looks like it might be cheaper but I don't know what else in the hub is damaged.

someoldmoose

With all the problems you have with this vehicle, might I humbly suggest that you either go and get vocational training in automotive repair, or sell your HMMWV and get something more reliable that someone else can work on. It seems like every time you touch something it becomes a major project.

Change the lube in the hubs. Bolt it back together (with your new wheels and lug nuts) and go HAVE FUN. I spent a lot of years gaining my repair experience. Guess how. By breaking stuff and then fixing it, and somehow, WITHOUT AN INTERNET FORUM to ask every silly little question I could think of.

Good luck and Happy Motoring !

Last edited:

erasedhammer

With all the problems you have with this vehicle, might I humbly suggest that you either go and get vocational training in automotive repair, or sell your HMMWV and get something more reliable that someone else can work on. It seems like every time you touch something it becomes a major project.

Change the lube in the hubs. Bolt it back together (with your new wheels and lug nuts) and go HAVE FUN. I spent a lot of years gaining my repair experience. Guess how. By breaking stuff and then fixing it, and somehow, WITHOUT AN INTERNET FORUM to ask every silly little question I could think of.

Who doesn't have issues with these beasts? I sure didn't buy this vehicle to use as a commuter and I knew what kind of maintenance I was getting into and I love it.
Despite all things I post on here, there's still a lot of projects and adventures that I DONT post anywhere.

The internet is a great resource, I don't mean to annoy people with questions, but I see no harm in consulting the community and seeing what others have done.

someoldmoose

First, apologies to Erasedhammer if offended. 98G, correct as usual.

My attempted point was, JUST DO IT, fix the thing and post it Proudly in "What I did . . .". You did exactly the right thing by servicing after immersion. ( I presume you fixed the vent tube). So cool, you fixed the problem. Go enjoy your ride. If you find a chunk of gear in the drainage that's one thing. Shavings might have been there since break-in. Who knows ? The point is to have fun with your rig. If YOUR brand of fun is typing on a forum, Awesomsauce ! I'd rather be out there, doin it. Party on.

erasedhammer

First, apologies to Erasedhammer if offended. 98G, correct as usual.

My attempted point was, JUST DO IT, fix the thing and post it Proudly in "What I did . . .". You did exactly the right thing by servicing after immersion. ( I presume you fixed the vent tube). So cool, you fixed the problem. Go enjoy your ride. If you find a chunk of gear in the drainage that's one thing. Shavings might have been there since break-in. Who knows ? The point is to have fun with your rig. If YOUR brand of fun is typing on a forum, Awesomsauce ! I'd rather be out there, doin it. Party on.
Ah. Yeah, that makes more sense. I just seem to find some good advices and opinions on here when I post. Usually prevents me from taking a course of action that wouldn't be economical or time efficient (aint that a joke :D).

someoldmoose

Son, you know that is a military vehicle, right. Efficient and Economical we're both designed out of it on the rough draft. I am no bully so please, ask whatever you want. I have dealt with a ****spreader full of balloonheads during my years so please forgive any gruffness. No malice intended We cool ?

erasedhammer

Son, you know that is a military vehicle, right. Efficient and Economical we're both designed out of it on the rough draft. I am no bully so please, ask whatever you want. I have dealt with a ****spreader full of balloonheads during my years so please forgive any gruffness. No malice intended We cool ?
We are good. I meant relatively, I've already dealt with the price of parts and the "this should only take an hour" fallacy... All fun though!

someoldmoose

If ya learn something, you've won. Now back to topic. As I said, if nothing more than some minor shinies come out with the old goop, put new goop in and go tear it up.

kc5mzd

If it's not making noise and turns smooth I would put it back together and keep an eye out for a replacement part. It will give you time to shop around. Someone may be doing an upgrade after breaking a different hub or shaft and have exactly what you need left over...

NormB

We are good. I meant relatively, I've already dealt with the price of parts and the "this should only take an hour" fallacy... All fun though!
[thumbzup]

That's a riot. I've started with several of those one hour" jobs, only to be puzzling over the fit/finish, hardware, figuring out what else needs replacing, or just not getting everything together for three hours but I'm learning, learning to use the manuals, online resources, and appreciate the helpful information available here and about.

I FINALLY figured out the truck WILL fit in the garage (with about 5 inches clearance on either side) where it's been for a couple of months while I've replaced the TC, fuel/ATF hoses, refurb'd the fuel tank/replaced sender, cleaned/painted and refitted muffler/exhaust and done some interior detail work, most of which I've posted over on the "what have you done" forum.

Taken it around the block a few times, out for about a twenty mile shakedown, reworking my "lists" of what needs doing next.

I've still got the following to do on the lube order: hubs, diff, some cables, brake fluid.

And, like you, I'm loving it. My wife thinks it's a waste of time and money, another expensive hobby, but she pays the vet bills for the dogs and parrot and I never say a word. That's HER hobby.

Keep at it, keep posting, I always enjoy reading your questions/comments/travails/wins.

Norm

therooster2001

[thumbzup]
That's a riot. I've started with several of those one hour" jobs, only to be puzzling over the fit/finish, hardware, figuring out what else needs replacing, or just not getting everything together for three hours
Someone signature on here was the truth, and I may get it a little wrong.

"The first part of any big project is staring at it like an idiot for half an hour" - Man, that fit me to a "t".

EDIT: Oops. I found it.

"Staring at it like a moron is the first step in any quality repair job. - well digger"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks