• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

uhh where did Memphis go?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PA location closed down a couple of months ago. They moved some stuff to the Memphis location and had a huge auction of the leftovers at the PA location.

steelandcanvas

They could shut down the Memphis yard too, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing but sub-standard service everytime I dealt with them. Better places to deal with in my opinion.

tm america

ya they are so over priced i dont know how they sell anything .they need to do some serious market research if they are to keep things a float:roll:

tm america

everytime i have called them for prices. they tell me a price and i then ask them the price if i install it myself .they say what are you talking about i say that price must include installation and delivery to cuz its ten times what the part should cost:-D

derby

Yep Tn. is there only location. I agree there prices are a bit high, but they will have it. I have had very good luck dealing with them and they have been very helpfull even when I did not purchase anything.

davidkroberts

i live just north of them and after talking to them a few times about this or that ive found that ANYTHING M35 related is through the roof. Usually for anything else you need to go to the yard and go searching around and have the guys give you a price on something you find. They wanted something like 85 dollars a piece for m715 roof bows...... can you believe it for a piece of bent and painted electrical conduit?:roll:

Someday they might realize the might get more business if the drop the prices into the realm of reality.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I have seen they live off filling federal contract for obsolete material and sells to foreign governments, a couple of months ago I posted some photos of 10-15 referb. 5 tons heading overseas.
James

Goose2448

Now I have never delt with them, but I have been by the PA location. They had a Deuce for sale that was rusted through and litteraly falling apart. The price on the windsheild was $12,000. I hope to deal with them when I can afford it.

Irv

My read on them is that the are not in business to serve the hobby market. They are there to sell parts to logging companies and other commercial users of the old military vehicles. They expect to pay more and get a guaranteed part. They don't have time to fiddle with stuff like we do. I agree that their prices are sky high for hobbyists. Irv

FrankUSMC

IRV is dead on target, we are NOT there bread and butter. Now, look on the other side of the coin, they are buying the stuff, years down the road, they will unload it, cheaper. If it was not for the them, alot of this stuff you will need later would be sold as scrap.
We have to thank a WWII military vehilce collector for White Owl scraping out all there WWII truck bodies years ago. They guy chewed out one of the owners over his prices, that was the last stray, so they scrapped all the WWII stuff. They deal with loggers and trucking companies, but as one of the owners told me, they do want to help us collectors, but when you bite the hand that feeds you....
I as was at White Owl parts company one time back years ago, they had just brought in some WWII Scout cars. A customer was complaining about the prices, the owner told him, to fly to europe, drive down to Greece, pick one out, pay for it, get the paper work down to get it out of Greece, get on a ship, get it to the US, and then get it pass customs and then home. If you can do it cheaper go for it. He ended the phone call to the guy with "do you think I do this as a Hobby?".
Just be thankful we have these guys.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

mhassett

All I can say is that I have had good luck with tham, prompt service, next day delivery. No problems. And yes I do spread my purchases around to other dealers.
mhassett

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I think George and Terry Kivett are two of the best guys ive had the chance to meet. Prices are prices but im going up next week to buy from them again and will continue to. When I have the chance to steer some one in the right direction to buy from a dealer I send them to White Owl. Noone ever complains. Im right along with you Frank.

I dont think I have ever gotton anything from Memphis but by the pictures ive seen in the past and the stories I dont think I will. This forum is a good tool to share the good and bad. Nice to have other opinions before someone makes a purchase. - Jay

saddamsnightmare

January 1st, 2010.

Gentlemen:

We are all entitled to our opinions about anything under the sun. I agree with BullDogMack13 about the Kivett's, I've dealt with them and I have had no cause for complaint. I have also dealt with Memphis Equipment Company and have no cause to complain there either. Sure, you pay a little more, but if your truck is your daily runner, making money for you, and it ain't running and you need the part yesterday, usually Memphis will have it and ship it ASAP.
I suspect a lot of Steel Soldiers members are folks who like the charm of the trucks, or the history of the trucks, but from what I've seen, very few of us can really justify owning or pay for the real cost of these trucks, as most of us don't work them.... I ran into the same class of character in the railroad equipment business.... they wanted private passenger cars, or even locomotives, but rarely could they afford the real cost to maintain the equipment to Federal Railroad Administration, or God help them, Amtrak inspection standards. Generally they wanted a first class item at salvage prices, and permit me to say... it isn't gonna happen very often.
Because of the age and design of these trucks, they are labor and maintenance intensive, and parts are not going to get any cheaper. If you have an M35 on an M37 budget, you may be asking for trouble in a matter of years, and very likely your truck is gonna fall into the hands of either someone who can afford it, or become a parts trucks for one of the dealers. The only way to avoid this if your budget is small is to put it up on blocks in the barn and pickle it.... the future will thank you in about 25 years.
Some of these vehicles will fall under "Antique" Classification, and as such are mileage and useage limited by law, but they are still gonna need repairs (at a lesser rate) and are still gonna need replacements for age related deterioration issues.... guess what, few new parts are being made in the states, and we all know about Chinese quality, so if you can't afford to maintain it now, you're not gonna be able to maintain it in the future. This is why old locomotives, ships, airplanes and trucks hit the scrap heap, because they become uneconomic to continue to maintain for operation. We may grieve over the fact, but few things man has ever made will stand the test of the eons to come.
Just my two cent's worth,

and permit me to wish you all a safe and Prosperous New Years,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

N.B. Yes, I went to the Christopher Columbus School of Typing..... Pick a key and land on it! (Often the wrong one--date corrected 1/2/2010)!

Cheers.......

Last edited: