• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UL listing for mep 803a or 831a?

NATCAD

Does anyone know if there has ever been a UL listing or any safety testing done that would satisfy a utility / insurer of a property that is powered by said generator?

(mep 803a or 831a)

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if there has ever been a UL listing or any safety testing done that would satisfy a utility / insurer of a property that is powered by said generator?

(mep 803a or 831a)

I've never heard of a UL listing for either set and doubt there is one. The federal government usually exempts themselves from such things.

I'd be looking into another insurance company if yours is really getting that picky. As long as the connections and devices used to hook it up meet code requirements I can't see where they have a problem.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a can of worms. You aren't going to find that any military generators with those approvals.

If you require that rating I strongly recommend buying a generator that has it out of the box.

NATCAD

Hi everybody, had inspection done.

A couple things were mentioned as needed for conformity the gfci box (has no certification on it (ul, etc) and is required to have an inline fuse.

A few other small things, load box (way to lock it so loads are not exposed)

Was suggested that I get an ordinary household gfci receptacle (15a) and a 15 amp 120v fuse.

What do you guys think of that?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be shopping for a new insurance company.

So it sounds like you might be able to satisfy their wants, by installing an outdoor installation approved safety switch right on the side of the machine, where the wires exit now (like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60-A...IPHorizontal2_rr-_-206184013-_-202978654-_-N_). Bolt it right over the existing wire exit point, to alleviate their concerns.

From there, you could use one of the side knockout holes to run to a locking 50A power inlet box (so you can use a standard generator cord). Like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Controls-50-Amp-Power-Inlet-Box-PB50/202216493

I think you are being jerked around though. This is all time and money that isn't needed to be spent, to make the machine any safer. I am not an electrician, don't construe anything above as solid, legal advice which meets your local codes.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless this generator is in/under a building or enclosure, that said insurer is covering the replacement cost of... why do they care? If you are simply hooking up to a connector on a structure, with an appropriate cable, what goes to that receptacle should be immaterial to their coverage. Are you trying to have the MEP covered under your insurance policy (and maybe where this all started)?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everybody, had inspection done.

A couple things were mentioned as needed for conformity the gfci box (has no certification on it (ul, etc) and is required to have an inline fuse.

A few other small things, load box (way to lock it so loads are not exposed)

Was suggested that I get an ordinary household gfci receptacle (15a) and a 15 amp 120v fuse.

What do you guys think of that?
Howdy,
The receptacle already has a inline fuse. That receptacle already has a interrupter also.

a 80lb bag of cement leaning on the front panel.

NATCAD

Howdy,
The receptacle already has a inline fuse. That receptacle already has a interrupter also.

a 80lb bag of cement leaning on the front panel.
I like the cement idea

Where is the in line fuse that protects the gfci box ? It is not on the wiring diagram and I cannot locate it physically.

That would solve adding a fuse !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NATCAD

Howdy,

The convenience receptacle is of course GFCI, with a 10 amp resettable fuse.

View attachment 726631 View attachment 726632
I think the inspector thought the gfci just measured disparity in current in and current out and neglected to see that there is also a resettable fuse for overload protection.

The inspector wanted a fuse between gfci and generator for current protection and because the old version of the gfci box has no UL listing (the new version does but are $50)

Either way because there was no UL listing on the gfci outlet he wanted a separate fuse

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The very first GFI's on the sets had an inline fuse. And, if I remember right, were UL listed. But that was a looooooong time ago.

NATCAD

The very first GFI's on the sets had an inline fuse. And, if I remember right, were UL listed. But that was a looooooong time ago.
So my choices right now are :

120v 15 amp fuse that is UL listed
+ add a new gfci receptacle ($5 plus $18)

Or

Replace gfci box with an updated UL listed one for $56 plus run new 12awg wire (new ones are 20 amp)

What do you guys think ?

Problem is the current gfci isn’t UL listed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks