• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ultimate 5 ton tractor

m715mike

The title of this thread caught my eye. I subscribed shortly after the thread was created, but have not had a chance to read it until this morning. I learned a few things from the discussion herein.

Csm Davis, you have a neat project on your hands. I look forward to following the build.

Jakelc15

This should be a great build. Good thing it's a crew cab. That winch takes a crew to operate! The 45k winch is an awesome winch but it doesn't free spool. Takes an hour to pay out the cable and weighs more than one can drag. I opted for the 20k for my rear winch instead.
Don't forget the pics Jeff!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must have missed this thread when I was on the road. Looking forward to watching the progress in person, maybe occasionally passing a wrench. Glad you're keeping it manual transmission, 'cause I love jamming gears :driver:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yours is the only 927 I have seen with dropsides, besides mine and it is considerably different. Here's a side view of mine. The front section on mine has stake pocket spacing that matches the deuce bed exactly. That allows me to use my deuce's troop seats, bows and cover on this truck, with a porch at the rear.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Yours is the only 927 I have seen with dropsides, besides mine and it is considerably different. Here's a side view of mine. The front section on mine has stake pocket spacing that matches the deuce bed exactly. That allows me to use my deuce's troop seats, bows and cover on this truck, with a porch at the rear.
By "porch", do you mean:

- the tailgate, or
- maybe a bench?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By "porch", do you mean:

- the tailgate, or
- maybe a bench?
The dropsides are two pieces. The front portion is the same as the stock deuce bed length, 12 feet. The aft portion is 8 feet long, providing the porch. You can kind of see it in this picture. It was taken at a local Four Wheel Parts truck show where parking was at a premium. There are people in the bed under the cargo cover, having pizza and beer, good times.

Attachments

Csm Davis

Vped does all of you sides fold, or only 1 or two?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vped does all of you sides fold, or only 1 or two?
All of them do. The truck came out of Ft. Bliss and the bumper markings are AMCOM, which stands for Army Aviation and Missile Command. CARNAC said it was most likely used for Patriot missile battery resupply and the drop-sides are to facilitate forklift loading.

Csm Davis

All of them do. The truck came out of Ft. Bliss and the bumper markings are AMCOM, which stands for Army Aviation and Missile Command. CARNAC said it was most likely used for Patriot missile battery resupply and the drop-sides are to facilitate forklift loading.
Was asking because I have seen older 5 ton and deuce long beds that only the rear one or two dropped.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing all of the drop-side versions that are not for ISO containers are "one offs" for a particular application. As in field modified or fabricated. The TMs specifically state that long wheelbase cargo trucks do not come in drop-side versions due to structural requirements.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a 20 foot dropside ISO bed off of a Marine Corp M927 that I reverse engineered. It may or may not be for sale since I'm thinking about putting it on my M927A2 if I take the short dropside bed and 5th wheel off. If I put it on the M927A2 then the 16 foot dropside bed will be for sale.

ryanaubra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure if you have your mind set on the transmission, but i have a perfect Eaton 10 Speed RoadRanger i am taking off the back of my 290 Big Cam. I have the bell housing, flywheel and clutch ready to go. Even has the yoke and half of the rear driveshaft. Call me if you are interested. Maybe we can do some trading......