• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ultimate fire fighting vehicle

axlr8

i cant get a free nfpa truck, if i apply i can get our fd a free hmmwv and convert it to a fire truck which would be way more fun!

axlr8

im sorry emmando, im looking for plans, not totally different trucks, i have talked with the fire cheif and he said hed rather drive in a truck he trusts and has trusted before, than a brand new truck...

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter

KsM715

You need to search out the advice of a few members here that are in rural FD's. They can help you out in what you need to do to aquire trucks. Remember though, they are Fire Trucks and not personal play toys. Trucks with water tanks can be extremely dangerous when untrained drivers get ahold of them.

I dont think anyone has plans (other than the companys that actually build fire trucks) to build trucks. They are just built in house from what the fire dept's have on hand.

axlr8

thats exactly the answer i was searching for ksm715, i understand the paly toy part, but we dont have a four wheel drive or 6x6 wheel drive off roader fire truck yet, thats what im getting at

axlr8

ok so im looking at a hmmwv platform with a metal baffled 200 gallon tank and a pump and fore spray system, is there a particular model humvee i should check for?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If youe chief cared about about his FF's safety, he's be embracing a new piece of apparatus, not saying no to it. Do you guys fight structure fires in 3/4 boots and long coats too?

Have you applied for any AFG grants?

If your dept is out trying to build a piece of apparatus, that in itself should score some major points in the Peer Evals section of the AFG grant process.

axlr8

its his truck idea and hed probly be the only one to drive it, unless he wasnt available.....im not understanding where and what your trying to get me to do, our taxes are nice enough arent they? wouldnt you like to have a vehicle thats already paid off?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its his truck idea and hed probly be the only one to drive it, unless he wasnt available.....im not understanding where and what your trying to get me to do, our taxes are nice enough arent they? wouldnt you like to have a vehicle thats already paid off?
Do you have enough of a tax base to pay for a workman's comp claim or an OSHA fine? I'm trying to get you and your fire dept. to stop thinking it's 1960. You could probably find a factory built used truck that is safe for less than you think. While HMMWV's are "cool", they are a terrible vehicle to be driving on an emergency response. They have poor visibility for drivers, very little in regards to crash protection, and are unreliable when 12v equipment is cobbled into the electrical system. What EXACTLY are you needing a new (to you) truck to do?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you apply for the free truck, I hope you use proper grammar, capitalization, spelling and punctuation.

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes taxes are high everywhere, but go look what a lawsuit will cost you. Go settle a suit for a few million.... You probably could of bought a few dozen brush trucks with the settlement to the family of the deceased.

All of my depts apparatus is paid off the day it backs into the station from the dealer/builder, as we save our pennies for them. All are NFPA compliant, as per our bid/contract.

Chief officers should be commanding a fireground, not driving apparatus to it. Thats what MPO's and FF's are for. If he is driving, who is the incident commander??

On a side note, how long have you been a FF for? Why not step up (if your not already) and become a MPO so your chief can do his job, and not drive apparatus?

You still wont answer the AFG grant question......

Last edited:

axlr8

I am sorry guys, this isn't the thread i had thought it would be, and yes emmando22, they are in the process of applying and this is the back up plan. doghead, I'm sorry if I did something wrong towards you but I didnt mean it if I did....thanks for your time and effort. I appreciate your consideration.

papaydsailor

go to NAS jacksonville, fl DLR disposition web site and filled in an application for city fire dept govt vehicle reutilisation application from them. they got a seabees green humvee and a sheriff dept humvee that was return back and a lot of deuce in their DRMO lot before the GL gets them.id rather have you guys get it than some foreign military that will use it against us in the future or some yahoo civ that will disrespect its service by repainting it yellow.
www.steelsoldiers.com/923882-post15.html

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks