• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Umm, Such a short VIN #?

bottleworks

Hello everyone. I am strongly looking at buying a Deuce. :D
The one thing that has got me is that the vin is listed as "012521542" on the auction. Are Millitary vin numbers not 17 digits? ...Or is GL only listing the
last 9 digits of the VIN?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends. some folks list the contract number with it too. My tractor is 9 digits as well. My wrecker is only 6 characters. The 17 digit VIN didn't come into play until 1981 and the military still didn't subscribe to that. HMMWVs don't have the 17 digit VIN despite being made after 1981.

bottleworks

Excellent. Thanks guys. One last worry...About the EUC. Any tips/pointers with regard to it? Could I complete the paper work before the auction ends to try to limit the wait time? Thanks.

FrankUSMC

Bottleworks
I see you are in NC. funny story for you on the vin numbers and NC. I went to tag a 1968 M715 with a very short vin number (like 7 or 6). The lady at the tag office would not give me tags because the state does not issue that short of vin number. I told her the truck was a United States goverment truck, which is HIGHER than a state goverment. She shot back with "why would they give it such a short number?" My reply was "lady there was a WAR on".
I got the tags, but the story goes on! The next day, I get a call to turn in my tags! I go back to the nice lady at the tag office. She says the vin number on your truck has already been issued by the state of North Carolina! I ask who and what got the number? She says "a guy was given that vin number in 1992 for his boat trailer". I look at her and say in my best southern " Mam, my truck was made in 1968, you better be calling him and telling him to turn his tags back in".
Sorry for the long story.
One of the few, Frank

rice

A lot of M37's just had the last 5 of the serial number on the data plate. SC has titled those with no problems.

bottleworks

Well, I hope I don't run into any problems... I have an uncle in GA...So he might be helping me out with getting a title for it. I just don't want the EUC to mess up everything. I haven't had to apply for one before.

Opie

Bottleworks, I recall that someone out there bought a GL lot which included a bayonet or some other item that required an EUC. When the EUC came through for that item, they were free to buy a deuce without the onerous waiting period.

Elwenil

My 1967 M715 has 10858 as the serial number and it was titled under than number as the VIN. When I went to transfer it into my name, I was told that the VIN was taken by some sort of 38' Packard. I asked how and they told me that it was probably a engine serial number. I asked how he got to use it when mine was already titled under my number and they said they didn't know. I told them I wanted my number back and they said they couldn't do it since he had already been issued a title. Keep in mind that the whole time I am holding in my hand a title from the previous owner that was issued in Virginia in 1999. So if I can't get my VIN back from him, how the hell did he get mine when there was already a title for the number for my truck?!? I have yet to get this mess fixed and there are several Virginia DMV Special Agents working on it still.

Jones

Out here the DMV is smart enough (if you point them the way) to agree that a Packard and a Deuce aren't made by the same manufacturer. There's no way duplicate numbers don't exist, even in nature. The only thing we occasionally run into is something we have called year of manufacture plates. If you have a classic car you can run the car's year plates (1937 California plates on a 1937 Ford for example). Originally you just got newer plates with your same number year after year. If you run into someone else having 1938 plates with your 1937 numbers, they can't both be issued and put on the road.
If at all possible, get one DMV clerk you can work with and groom so that they're familiar with military and older vehicles and the idiosyncracies of early ID numbers and keep going to that clerk. Good Luck.

fredrader

When I went to title and transfer my historic tags from my M35 to my 67 M715 I had to get the VIN inspected by the girl behind the desk..We went out to the truck and she asked where the vin was and I told her it was on the dash on one of the data plates..She just said OK and walked back inside without even sticking her head in the truck and looking..I went next door to the title dept and gave the lady the inspection paper..She said my VIN was really short but she ran it anyway..It came back as a motorhome...I told her my truck was an M715 Mfg by the Kaiser Jeep corporation in 1967..She told me to come behind the counter and talk her thru exactly what I wanted on the title.. :D Great lady So now my title has Vin #13347
Year 1967
Make Kaiser
Make Description Jeep
Body Type PU
Model Description M715
Milage 39,636
Purchase Price $500 :wink:
I transfered my old historic tags from my deuce for like $10 and I went down the road..

Sorry for the long post.. :oops:

rice

I had a truck a year or so ago that they pulled the vin number for 3 other vehicles, same number different make. The lady did the paperwork, said that wasn't a problem. That's why they went to the 17 digit number to eliminate that problem.

rdixiemiller

Mine has a 6 digit VIN number. The lady at the tag office had no problem giving me my tag and getting me a Ga. title. I had to pay $20 for the title, as they are not required in Ga. for that old a vehicle. Since I had an Alabama title with the truck, I wanted to keep a title, in case I ever sell the truck out of state.

MVtrucker

There are two sets of numbers: chasis and military "hood" number. Some of the trucks I got in had just the frame number, which is what you have, on the Form 97. Some had just the military "hood" number ie: O4JXXX71, while others combined the two.

williamh

mine has a 4 digit vin number .. it came back to 8 diffrent vehicles ..... but i got the plates anyway .. they knew that back in the 50's that those numbers were short and given to mutiple mfg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks