• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Un-muffled 6.2

robert c neth

Banned
i live on a country road heavily traved by motorcycles ,atvs and a bunch of younger guys all running un muffled diesels.the diesels make the least noise of the bunch.maybey its the 3 inch stacks through the bed that makes them seem not so noisey.since its legal in pa not to run mufflers on a diesel a lot dont.its their personal choice and being older i still think they sound good when they go by.

Brett09

I want to add 2cents, most people that might be thinking about a straight piped diesel also need to remember that 99.9% of the diesels on the road have turbos. The 6.2L is naturally aspirated so it doesn't get the muffling effect via turbo. Just 6.2L's of high compression diesel engine. If I remember correct the stock muffler is 2.5" in and 2" out. Wonder if they need a bit of back pressure? I noticed zero power gain and just a very loud dirty sound.

original

I ran mine w/o mufflers for a while turned out in front of the rear wheels. I also added 2.5" O/D by 1" I/D washers inside the pipe. Sounded great at idle, but was to loud when revved. It sounds like a drag car doing 110, but your only doing 30. It's alright in the winter, when the windows are up. Summer time is just awful and embarrassing. I ended up with a new exhaust system. No noticeable power gains at all.

Cycletek

All motors are just air pumps, you can force more air and fuel into them and realize some more power, but even that increases the wear and heat. If you are running a turbo, you can gain some more power by thermally insulating the exhaust and housing to force the heat down the pipe instead through the sides of the pipe and housing. I used HPC Ceramic Coatings and increased my boost 2 to 3 lbs all the the turbos map range.

:driver: