• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Un-Preserve Multifuel

JasonS

That engine is designed for ALL the lube oil to drain to the pan on shutdown, as per design.
There is no evidence that this was a design "feature." White Motors fixed this shortcoming when they added a check valve to the oiling system.

tommys2patrick

While I can understand why someone from present times would not want to describe the fact that all oil drains back to the pan on shut down of the engine as a "design feature", nevertheless, it was, I believe, part of the design of the engine. a lot of harleys for example, currently have this element as part of the design. if an engine is designed by someone or a team of someone's, then all parts of the engine and how it works is designed by them. at the very least, such things are taken onto account during design so that the engine as a whole still functions. considering the age of the design, its intended use, how its maintained and by whom and how often. not to mention all the engines that came before it and building upon that library of knowledge and experience I believe makes it a design feature of the engine. I don't think one could describe the drainback as just something that kinda happened during its construction or was overlooked or not considered or possibly not integral to the proper function of the engine from the perspective of the designer(s). no disrespect to anyone or their viewpoint, just another perspective to throw into the discussion.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
My 1969 Deuce took 73 seconds for the lube oil to get to the turbo. Easy to hear. I didn't like that.
Long about 1967 Mr. Tennis designed and built oil filter bases, I installed them and that simple thing
took the oil time to turbo to 4 seconds.
Original Oliver engine spin on adapters unobtanium.
Somewhere back in time I did read that all the lube oil drains down to pan on shutdown, the non-pressure of the lube oil during cold startup of my engine was enough to see that all the oil did drain down.
If I had the time to study the entire Mann patent again I would figure it out again but it is obvious to me.
The actual statement about the lube oil draining down may have been in a Popular Science magazine way back when.

Original Tennis adapters 1967?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would take quite a while to find the papers documenting the design but here is the idea behind it. These trucks were designed to be able to function in every climate. Part of the design was extreme cold (Arctic Cold). The engineers thought of many things including some pretty interesting fuel fired heaters, coolant heaters, insulated blankets for hoods, beds, cabs and grill covers etc.. Having the oil in the pan gave it the greatest ability to keep in warm for the next time it was started. SAE 30 (Oil of the time) flows very poorly at -30°.

JasonS

The MAN patent was only in regards to the combustion chamber design. The balance of the multifuel design was an amalgam of Continental's other engines at the time.

The engineers designed in a bypass valve with the stated intent for cold oil to be able to bypass the filters.; it would not be required for oil to drain back into the block. IMHO, it is far more likely that inverting the oil filters was a design compromise to fit the injection pump, oil cooler, oil filters, and fuel filters all on this side of the engine. IMHO, there simply wasn't room to fit the filters in the proper direction and still fit between the frame rails. Again, note that White fixed this issue in their tractors with a block modification and this modification was also used on their engines with the spin on filters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks