• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unbalanced brake drums

welpro222

I am trying to chase a violent vibration i have at 60+ mph. I recently installeda rebuilt a 14 bolt FF rear, new brake drums, brake components, bearings, seals, u-joints. I am running 37 humvee tires. I noticed that one of the drums i got from napa did not have a weight on it, do they all come with them?

Front end is a dana60 all new components and aligned. I'm narrowing it down to the drum with no weight on it, what do you guys think?

evldoer

Might want to try running it up to 60 mph on jack stands or a hoist with the wheels removed. Make sure you install lug nuts to keep drums on. This will tell you if the drums are the culprit.

cpf240

There was another thread here some time ago where a member found an unbalanced rear brake drum to be the cause of his problems. If I recall correctly, he took the drums to a tire shop, and had them put on the tire balancer to check them.

hoplite666

I'd check the tire balance. Better yet before $$ for balance rotate the tires and see if the vibration follows the tires. Typically you'll feel rear imbalance in the seat and front imbalances in the steering wheel. The drum may not have needed a weight from the factory.

Last edited:

welpro222

wobbling 14 bolt hubs

I have been chasing a vibration at freeway speeds. I lifted the rear end on stands and ran the vehicle upto 60 mph. I notice the wheel wobbling. So i removed the tires and the hub is wobbling too same on both sides. Is this common? I just installed installed this axle with all new bearings.

richingalveston

On a 1008 parts truck I bought (put the axles on 1009) I had bent hubs on the front and on the back the drums wobbled on the rear hubs because of bent wheel studs. I put new hubs on front and removed the drums and went disc with new studs and now I have no problems.

I am pretty sure GL picked it up pretty high with the fork lift before dropping it. I think they were trying to see how high it would bounce.

richingalveston

I had all four wheels wobbling. The front hubs were bent and the back drums wobbled on the hub. The rear studs were slightly bent between the hub and drum, the drum wobble was only about an 1/8 inch out but when that much mass is running out of round it does not take much to feel it.

With both rears wobbling and both fronts bent, I assume someone either dropped it with a fork lift or jumped it pretty far and caught some pretty good air. It hit the ground hard.

I doubt just taking it on and off would cause any damage or bend anything.

I was lucky and did not have a bent axle tube. The truck rolls real smooth now.