• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uncovering unit markings from demil overspray

claptonisgod

Just wondering, what's the best way to uncover my HMMWV's tactical markings from the paint that was sprayed on before its sale without damaging the paint used for the markings or the CARC paint?

Thanks!

tim292stro

If the paint was'n't flaking off when they painted it, a sand blaster on lower pressure with finer grit sand should do it. May take a minute or more to cl an a square foot of surface that way, so patience is the key.

Also, have you tried asking CARNAC on the vin thread about your truck?

claptonisgod

If the paint was'n't flaking off when they painted it, a sand blaster on lower pressure with finer grit sand should do it. May take a minute or more to cl an a square foot of surface that way, so patience is the key.

Also, have you tried asking CARNAC on the vin thread about your truck?
Thanks for the suggestions, I don't have access to a blaster unfortunately so I'd be happy to hear some other options as well. I heard gas might work?

I did try CARNAC for info a few months ago, but he was very vocal about the fact that he no longer does those searches. I was fortunate enough to find someone else to do it, so mainly I just want to see if the markings match up with the record I was given or if the truck lived multiple lives.

m38inmaine

I have used that paint remover in a spray can before, just watch it and when it starts to bubble the first layer wipe it off.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you removing the CARC or the Krylon over the bumper numbers? if it's the Krylon, light sanding, a few beers, and some patience. Use a fine grit or Medium sand paper, sit down, and just lightly sand. More than likely, the black paint is covering black letters, so, you're going to have to be careful.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting as I have seen lots (100's) of scrap m939 and don't recall any numbers front or back bumper painted over. Is that a new requirement?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting as I have seen lots (100's) of scrap m939 and don't recall any numbers front or back bumper painted over. Is that a new requirement?
It's apparently in the SOW for GovPlanet. They have to obscure the markings indicating the unit of 'origin'. Not sure if GovLiq was supposed to and just didn't or if it wasn't part of the SOW.

MtnSnow

The covering of the unit numbers is actually supposed to be done by the returning unit or at DRMO prior to release to GL or GP

elkhtr

I found mine by accident during the western Washington spring de-greening. Started pressure washing the bumpers, and up came the black unit markings on the tan carc.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Acetone...of its NON CARC it will wipe off, if it's carc...well, for get it.
I just picked up a Deuce...and the bumper numbers were painted over...after cleaning the tan non CARC paint off well enough...turns out the deuce Is from my old unit. 340SPT "340th support battalion"

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used acetone tonight on my m998 and a little bit of crown spray tuff stuff paint stripper.

What I found was that the truck was stenciled twice.
1. 82 307 BSB. HHC 5
2. 307 FSB. HQ 83

1. Is the newest
2. Is the older of them

in both cases it's a headquarters truck...HHc and HQ. The FSB is a Forward support battalion...or as we used to called them when I was in the 340th FSB...a "Frisbee".
its vey well the same unit and the units number changed...I was in the 540th Maint Bn that became the 340th FSB.
my unit was a Detachment, so our bumper numbers also had "DET".