• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Under bed gooseneck hitch for Deuce

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last Spring I bought a 26' triple axle gooseneck trailer with a 30k gross, but until buying a Deuce, didn't have anything stout enough to pull it with.

Now I've got it in my head that I shouldn't have too much trouble mounting a hidden gooseneck hitch under the bed of my tandem axle Deuce...between the axles.

The vertical post on the hitch that sits down on the gooseneck ball is long enough that it will have the trailer riding pretty level with the hitch mounted between the Deuce axles and at frame height. Almost exactly the same as it rides when hitched to a One Ton dually.

I've looked at all the manufacturers sites and don't see one that would be easier to mount than another, so I guess I'll call a few of them and see how bad they freak out when I mention what I have in mind.

Using this type of gooseneck hitch will also allow me to hinge the section of the Deuce bed floor that I cut out, so when not hauling a trailer, the bed floor is complete with no voids, and is fully functional.

Anyone tried this and have some input for me?

TIA

Bighurt

Have you actually measured the height cause the bed of my M35 is nearly the same heigth (higher) as the bed rails on my F350 which are 20" higher than the base of the ball on my B&M turnoverball gooseneck hitch.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work but there willhave to be some modification somewhere.

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jeremy. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Yup, I measured the deck/hitch height on the F350 my neighbor pulls the trailer with, and also the position where the gooseneck hitch will end up being mounted on the Deuce frame, and they are within a vertical inch of each other.

I will have to get a little creative with the hitching and unhitchiing due to the deep depth that the gooseneck hitch will have to sit down in the hitch access hole, but think I have that worked out OK.

For example...an F450 Hidden Hitch GNR which will bolt up to the Deuce frame without too many mods, that's sort of the direction I'm wanting to go.

If I am able to get this gooseneck hitch mounted OK, between it, the rear pintle and 2" receivers mounted on both front and rear of the Deuce, there shouldn't be too much I can't hitch up to.

After that I figure I'll make a gin pole crane for the front of the deuce.

Thanks for any replies.

Hooty481

I was thinking about doing the same thing to mine. I hadn't done any measuring or anything I just figured I would need to raise the neck up on the trailer. My bed is also dropside so it will help a little bit.

off_sho_cajun

If you are within one verticle inch, raising the neck on the trailer isnt hard at all and seems very possible. When swapping between the 2 wheel drive and 4wheel drive F-350's, we have to adjust the neck on the trailer as well and this can be done with a "crescent hammer" ( crescent wrench in oilfiled terms). What is the difference in bed length on a 350 and the deuce? To me the deuce is longer and may not clear the front of the trailer if mounted directly above/ between the axles. This is me just thinking wiothout any of the vehicles in front of me.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there is a guy that did a custom hitch that came to the GA, rally in 2009 and 2010, maybe someone or the owner will speak up, he built it for his 5th wheel camper

cmayer85

Jay, have you thought about chopping a 10-12 section of the bed up to the gooseneck ball? that way you can get your gooseneck set in the frame rails above the rear tandem or so to get the weight on the wheels. you could hinge that section you chop so all you do is flap it over when you use it and flap it back over for a flat floor when not using it. same principal as the flatbed truck bodies use the hide and store the ball

cmayer85

I like the stinger hitch mod but the big problem with that hitch is that if you ever put a heavier tongue load on that thing the front end will come up and you wont be able to steer for ****. on a 5 ton it would work a lot better. on my truck i sank a reese 16k 5th wheel hitch flush with the frame rails just behind the rear tandem but i have a lot more weight on my truck, 22-23k vs 13-14k. im working on the gooseneck ball now. i will probably use my b&w tow and stow tho since it already has a 2 5/16 on it, just flip it up and use the ball. i also dont have a bed to get in the way. my bed is only about 6' long so it stops right between the tandems

gunboy1656

there is a guy that did a custom hitch that came to the GA, rally in 2009 and 2010, maybe someone or the owner will speak up, he built it for his 5th wheel camper

Here is the pics you mentioned....

Attachments

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jay, have you thought about chopping a 10-12 section of the bed up to the gooseneck ball? that way you can get your gooseneck set in the frame rails above the rear tandem or so to get the weight on the wheels. you could hinge that section you chop so all you do is flap it over when you use it and flap it back over for a flat floor when not using it. same principal as the flatbed truck bodies use the hide and store the ball
Hey Cam, thanks for weighing in. :beer:

Getting the trailer post up to, and then down onto the GNH, I don't have a problem with.

My original post is just trying to see if anyone had done this in the past, and if so, what materials or kit was used, and how was it modified or
installed.

Thanks to everyone who took time to post.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You are going to find that pulling a heavy trailer with a deuce is going to be a slow go.......the normal deuce multi-fuel is around 140 HP.....an LDS will bump it up to 180 or so. It will fall flat on it's face on a hill.

The deuce was made to pull heavy loads over rough terrain at low speeds.....it is never going to be a good over the road hauler for heavy loads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks