• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Under hood insulation

muddobber40

I have used the LMC kit and have it on my 85 M1028 as well. It does help, but the biggest noise reduction I got was when I installed the floor insulation and new mat. I have the Lizard skin sound control spayed in the cab and in the engine bay. All I hear going down the road is my turbo (I have a 6.5 in it)

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A search should have answered this, scroll down...

carbonraptor

Really I think it depends on you, weather or not it bother's ya to have old rugged insulation versus new shiny insulation :p i have 2 vehicles, one with some thats new ant the other descent. Just personal preference is all

dependable

Around here, mice tend to chew up any soft under hood product and use it to build nests, usually under intake manifold. Using lizard skin and or dyna mat like products avoids this.

jimmyjimwas

Ok thanks for the updated info.
I did some research and and found on an auction site eb.. an orig Gm liner and one thats an after market. I would like to know
if the Gm one would have the hole cavities [not sure how to explain ill do my best ] like depressed,form fit or is it just flush on the back
cause if its no different then the aftermarket one i wont waste the extra money on it
thanks

richingalveston

I believe all of them are flat on the back, none match the cavities in the hood that I know of. I used two LMC liners and cut the first one up to fill all of the cavities and then installed the second over that

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years back, on a different forum (I can't remember which), a fellow showed how he filled the rib cavities with Hot Stuff spray insulating foam. When this had hardened he cut off the excess with a hack saw blade, flush with the rib profile, and cleaned up any other blobs that might have leaked out between the rib frame and the hood skin. Then he had Rino Liner sprayed onto the entire underside of the hood, including over the hardened foam. He indicated in his post that it quietened the 6.2 noise substantially. I have often contemplated doing this to my M1028.

Hope this helps.