• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

underpowered winch?

greenery

so let me get this straight... A deuce weighs 6.5 tons correct? And the winch they come equipped with can pull 5 tons right? So shouldnt that overload the winch and destroy it? Where and for how much can I get a winch from a 5 ton truck? Just to be safe

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you also get the BII(basic issued items) straight? Included is a key item for winching.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do believe that is 5 ton straight weight pull when warren and outher have what would be a rolling pull like the truck was on level ground tires aired up and brakes not on and pavement . 5 tons is a lot of pulling power when the truck is in the mud. If your in doubt double out. When your in trouble triple out. The truck should also be used when you can to help in extraction. If you use low retreave on the winch and first gear low range the tires will spin just about the right speed and the winch will stay in step.
I might add if you took your truck some where that it's winch can not get you out you should not have gone there.
Cargo trucks not track machines

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 10k winch on a 2-1/2 will get it out of anything up to axle deep. IF properly and safely used.

These winches will easily out-perform an electric winch with a rating 50% greater.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
isnt it better to learn to safely use a wench, then risk a winch accident?

whats the tm number for the wench?
-10 ( WENCH OPERATING MANUAL) AKA HONEY DO LIST

With some of the questions that have been asked lately, there is a growing trend it seems to buy MVs, BUT NOT the TMs, sorta like the thought " I don't need no stinking TM", sure glad these guys don't decide to buy AIRPLANES, awful hard to figure out how to land and WALK AWAY while in a rapid decent.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Just FYI,at the Georgia Rally this past year,as Squirt Truck will attest to,we properly used a Deuce winch(10,000 lb) to extract a bobbed 5 ton with 1600s on it mired to just over hub deep mud with a single line pull.Granted the 5 ton was helping by spinning the wheels in reverse.

When you get into the 20K and 45K winches on the 5 tons,that is some SERIOUS pulling power,I can honestly say I have only had to use the 20K on the wrecker once and the rear 45K twice,not a job for the faint of heart by any means.

Last edited:
I would speculate that the 5 ton's winch is not a "bolt on fit". When my deuce arrives, in a week, I will know for sure.
I think I read that the deuce's winch was 10 ton... but I am not sure right now I've been reading too much spec stuff lately.

If my memory serves me correctly your deuce will crawl up inclines (on dry ground) up to about 35 degrees. If you winch it up that same grade, with the trans in neutral, the load on your winch cable will be about 50% to 60% of the vehicle's weight. I am reasonably sure to get the full weight of the vehicle on the cable you will need to be going up an angle of nearly 75 degrees or more.

Get a protractor and draw that angle on a piece of paper and consider if you think you will ever ride up that angle or not. Someone must be in the truck when you do this. Even though the brakes probably won't slow you down much if the cable breaks.
Keep in mind if you are up far enough up when the cable breaks the truck will accelerate backwards very quickly causing the steering to spin to the extreme right or left and stay there most likely causing the truck to flip over.

There is almost always an easier way around. But I suppose there is no other way to get that thrill! {:-0 Ride em cowboy!!!

However make sure >>all<< your gearboxes are full of good oil before you try it! And then go have a ball! Carefully!

e

cjcottrill

It's sorta like you pushing a three thousand pound car by yourself. You can roll it, but if you tie a cable on it and stand on a tall ladder I bet you can't lift it.
Does that mean you are strong because you can push it or weak because you can't lift it. If you take that cable and thread it through enough pulleys then you can lift it by yourself. The winch can be tooled to perform the task, or it can be abused and broken. The design is adequate for the truck it's mounted on for the use it was intended for. It wasn't made to lift six 1/2 tons, but tooled properly it will perform amazing things.

jimmcld

Just FYI,at the Georgia Rally this past year,as Squirt Truck will attest to,we properly used a Deuce winch(10,000 lb) to extract a bobbed 5 ton with 1600s on it mired to just over hub deep mud with a single line pull.Granted the 5 ton was helping by spinning the wheels in reverse.

When you get into the 20K and 45K winches on the 5 tons,that is some SERIOUS pulling power,I can honestly say I have only had to use the 20K on the wrecker once and the rear 45K twice,not a job for the faint of heart by any means.

I once pulled an 18 wheeler with my 45,000 winch. It should have been an easy pull sence the 18 wheeler was just spinning and not bogged down at all. The line got real tight before the truck started to move. It was only later that I learned that the brakes were locked up on the 18 wheeler. I pulled it about 10 feet like that. These winches are amazing.

spicergear

You're right, these winches are amazing. I've winched a LOT with the 10,000lb winches and the 20,000lb winches and can hardly say enough good about them! [thumbzup]

5 ton winch will fit a deuce but it's a bit of work as they're larger and usually have the drive on the wrong side.

LanceRobson

Considering that the US military has equipped hundreds of thousands of vehicles with winches over at least 11 decades I suspect that they have a pretty good idea of what size winch is appropriate.

Keep in mind that the deeper a vehicle is mired the higher the line pull needed to extract it. As has been already written by others, having the wheels turning (or tracks) will help even if they have no traction since there is that much less suction to overcome. That's especially true for tracked vehicles. Depending on soil conditions a vehicle mired to it's frame may take two or times it's own weight in line pull to free up.

Buy or download a copy FM 20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations. It is a small handbook and it has everything you need to know about safely recovering a mired or overturned vehicle. Among other things it will help you compute the rigging layout and the amount of line pull you will need for any given situation. You can find copies on Ebay most of the time. There's one copy there now for a crazy price (as misprint maybe?) but we bought ours for less than $5 a copy. The also show up pretty regularly at MV shows and swap meets.

We keep a copy in each truck with a winch. We also have one or two snatch blocks, chains, a couple pairs of heavy leather gloves, shear pins, the correct size pin punch and a hammer to remove broken pins in each truck. We keep wire brushes for cleaning mud or sand off the cable and a can of wire rope preservative handy, too. We also have a couple of M113 tow cables. They have two heavy forged eyes on the ends and when put on the lifting/towing shackles of a truck they act as a bridle to keep a snatch block centered when pulling at an angle to the long axis of the truck. That way both frame rails share the load and you're a lot less likely to tweak the frame or bumper.

The correct time to learn how to use your winch is well before you ever try to use one for a recovery. There are rarely any adverse issues if you over-rig a pull but a lot of bad things can happen if you under-rig a pull. A lot of people have been maimed or killed around winching operations.

Lance

EDIT: For those of you in NY and northern PA, Chris and I plan to host a meeting our chapter of the NY-PENN MVCC here at our farm this summer for a meeting on how to care for a winch and how to use a winch in recovery operations. It will include hands-on winch operations. I'll post the info here in a thread when we get it planned and it will be open to non-members of the club.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks