• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Underside of dropside bed

Boatcarpenter

After using all the derusting tools in the arsenal, and priming with Red Rustoleum and to avoid expensive paint, shipping, hazmat fees,etc, I painted the finish coat using a Sherwin Williams anti rust enamel. Took one adjustment to the formula to get a color that was a good match. Problem was I could only get it in a satin finish and they had no flattener for it. So, when it was still slightly tacky, I gave it a quick light spray with rattlecan "383" CARC substitute and it took the shine off and came out OK for the underside of a bed. You can see the standoff for a sugar scoop antenna mount in the pic for comparison that is painted with the "383". Still have a few touchups to do but fairly pleased with the results.
If anyone wants the formula I'll be happy to share.
BC

Attachments

Armada

Wow BC, that looks GREAT! Looks like a perfect match to me.
How in the hot place did you get that bed flipped upside down and in the shop for paint? Is it setting on sawhorses? :)

nickd

Nice job. My truck was painted last year, garage kept, and is showing signs of rust from dirt/sand thrown up from the tires on trail rides that chipped up the paint.

Boatcarpenter

Hey Paul, it was quite an operation. I had a friend of mine put it upside down on a tandem axle lowbed which we had to push into the garage by hand because the fenders hit the garage door weatherstripping on both sides. Had less than 1" total clearance. Then jacked it off the trailer and supported it with a couple of 2x4's scabbed together on the block piers. After we got the trailer out you can see I supported the 2x4's with jackstands in the middle. They were pretty stressed especially at the headboard end.

Attachments

Barrman

Looks good. I have to do the same to mine. Were all your side board/tail gate pins good? Mine only has the pins at the ends and they look bad so I need to replace all the pins and was wondering what source you used if you went that route.

Looks like I will be investing in some cinder blocks. I like the way you supported it. Looks sturdy and not liable to fall on my feet.

Boatcarpenter

Barrman, all the hardware, pins, latches etc are in good shape. I even have the braces in the rear stakes that hook into the bed when the tailgate is down. The bed had been sitting with one side down on the ground for some time so that side was rusted quite a bit. Also, a couple of the boxed floor supports were rusted out so I had them repaired first. We had to support it that way to get the trailer out but it was pretty unstable until I put the jackstands under it. After that I could climb all over it with no worry.
I used a needle scaler, air powered wire wheels, sander and some hand tools to get at all the little corners etc. Somewhat tedious job, but lookin' good now. Good luck with yours.
BC

ONTOS66

Look'n good!
Additional points for an improvised, but safe, working stand.
The color match in the photo looks very nice - and after some road dirt - who will notice?

Good luck with the rest of the project.

Tankjeepman

RustOleum Rusty Metal Primer (the red version)

Looks Great! I am about to start on the 1945 cargo bed of my Chevy G506. I bought some Rust Bullet to give it a try. I tested a small patch, wire brushing only then painted it. It looks promising. They claim it soaks to bear metal and forms a "permanent" bond. Has anyone else used this product?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks