• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uneven brake pad wear

Drock

Replace your hose's. This is a common problem. The inner lining starts to break down and you can get "flaps" of lining that act as valves holding brake fluid in or not allowing brake fluid to enter. I went with the PTFE hose for mine years ago and have had no problems since. These are the same type of hose "Peashooter" was selling for the deuce. You can find them in Summit's catalog (website) or Jeg's. Just type in stainless steel Teflon brake hose.
I don't think it's likely the flex lines? They're only a year and a half old. I was thinking that it may not be the drivers side caliper not retracting, but the passenger side not extending? I'll steal some time tomorrow, pull the passenger caliper and see if I can make it extend.

rustystud

I don't think it's likely the flex lines? They're only a year and a half old. I was thinking that it may not be the drivers side caliper not retracting, but the passenger side not extending? I'll steal some time tomorrow, pull the passenger caliper and see if I can make it extend.
You might have bought them a year and a half ago, but that doesn't mean they are that old. I bought one that lasted 6 months. The rubber was starting to get hard, but I ignored that and installed them anyway. Now I will never go with rubber lines again if I can help it.

Drock

Well went ahead and replaced the calipers tonight. And good thing I did, this crap came out of the old ones 20161129_170449.jpg however it's still pulling to the left, and I was getting a lot of air bubbles from the left side. I'm going to try and rebleed it and tomorrow.

Last edited:

rustystud

What is SSBC version? Some special recipe? Silicone DOT 5 is standard world around. I never seen rust in DOT 5. Concerned citizen.View attachment 656168
I agree. I have never seen this much rust in a silicone system. Something is seriously wrong there. I would start checking your lines and the master cylinder for water intrusion. Maybe someone accidently added DOT 3 brake fluid to your system at one time, and it never got fully purged out. Since DOT 3 holds water that could explain the severe rust. Though silicone will push water down to the lowest level, if you haven't bleed your system on a regular basis then that also could explain the rust. Though I had a silicone system in one of my trucks that had not been touched for over 10 years and it was still pristine inside. If your cap on the master cylinder had a bad gasket it could have allowed water to get in. Or your caliper seals where leaking, then it could draw-in water that way too.

Drock

I think I know how the water got in. About a year ago the master cylinder cap developed a leak, and it took me a few tries to get it fixed. However I think you may be right about the flex lines (Rustystud). Ever sense I did (what turned out to be) 4" lift on this truck, the front flex lines have looked a little stretched. And when I re-bled the fronts yesterday which took almost 3 hours of fighting tiny bubbles!!!:x So I ordered a new 18" set front ORD last night.... That's ORD (Off Road Designs):grin:

rustystud

I think I know how the water got in. About a year ago the master cylinder cap developed a leak, and it took me a few tries to get it fixed. However I think you may be right about the flex lines (Rustystud). Ever sense I did (what turned out to be) 4" lift on this truck, the front flex lines have looked a little stretched. And when I re-bled the fronts yesterday which took almost 3 hours of fighting tiny bubbles!!!:x So I ordered a new 18" set front ORD last night.... That's ORD (Off Road Designs):grin:
I know you'll like the PTFE hoses over the stock rubber lines. They will also last the life of your truck if they don't get damaged. No need to replace them every 5 to 10 years like the rubber ones.

cucvrus

Wait. You are supposed to change rubber brake hoses every 5 to 10 years? I live in Pennsylvania and we have strict safety inspections. All vehicles must be inspected annually. The only way we replace brake hoses is if they are cracked,frayed or leaking. Most times on my own vehicles. I just replace them when I have the frame out from under the vehicle. So not that often. They seem to last till the steel ends rust off of them. And they are still legal as long as they are not cracked,frayed or leaking. I am sure Pennsylvania has a law describing what a defective brake hose looks like. But I am a certified Pennsylvania inspection mechanic. I would get a lot of hate if I changed peoples brake hoses by date. Sorry to say tires will soon be subject to failure of inspection due to date codes. That is what a full tort society wants. Happy holidays.

rustystud

Wait. You are supposed to change rubber brake hoses every 5 to 10 years? I live in Pennsylvania and we have strict safety inspections. All vehicles must be inspected annually. The only way we replace brake hoses is if they are cracked,frayed or leaking. Most times on my own vehicles. I just replace them when I have the frame out from under the vehicle. So not that often. They seem to last till the steel ends rust off of them. And they are still legal as long as they are not cracked,frayed or leaking. I am sure Pennsylvania has a law describing what a defective brake hose looks like. But I am a certified Pennsylvania inspection mechanic. I would get a lot of hate if I changed peoples brake hoses by date. Sorry to say tires will soon be subject to failure of inspection due to date codes. That is what a full tort society wants. Happy holidays.
The hose replacement schedule is not a mandatory rule of law but what the manufactures who make the hoses say to do. I know most everyone never replaces their hoses until they break or leak, but just like your suppose to change-out the brake fluid every 5 years your suppose to replace the "rubber" flex hoses too. Since we all know that "rubber" has a life expectancy of around 10 years you are suppose to be proactive in maintenance. Just like your suppose to replace those rubber cups in the wheel cylinders on every brake job, but almost no one does.
Since I have worked at the transit agency for almost 25 years I have gotten into the habit of proactive maintenance. There you replace the rubber diaphragms in the brake cans every 2 years whether they need it or not. You service the air-dryers every year. Everything that has a life expectancy gets replaced on a regular basis. Whether by mileage or time in service.
In truth most people never need to do this as the average person replaces their car every 10 years.
Getting back to the flex lines. The average failure of them is not the external but the internal lining that breaks down and causes the fluid to get trapped or prevented from flowing like what has happened here. So the only way to prevent this is to have regular replacement of the hoses, not wait until you can see evidence of failure.
About the tires you mentioned, I know something about this. Since the new formulation of rubber has happened in the last few years, tires wear-out at an accelerated rate. So when you buy a tire that has a guaranteed life of say 40,000 miles it will be worn-out at 40,000 miles ! Of course the tires today are much better in handling and stopping then they ever have been before, you just will not have them as long. According to my best friend who owns a service station in Seattle, the tires today will start to weather-check (break-down) in 5 years according to the manufactures due to this change in formulation.

Last edited:

dependable

Sometimes the flex lines will collapse internally and cause front brake caliper to seize. The caliper is condemned when it was just the 15+ year old rubber in the flex line. That is a good reason alone to replace them (the flex lines) when you do a brake job and they are over 10 years old.

I used try to repair things on the cheep, but am wiser now, and save money and time doing it right in the first place.

Happy Friday!

Drock

Well I finally got around to installing the ORD, braided stainless steel brake lines today. WOW! they make a big difference in the braking! Much more responsive to input, and they seem to grab much better as well. Everything bled out super easy also.

rustystud

Well I finally got around to installing the ORD, braided stainless steel brake lines today. WOW! they make a big difference in the braking! Much more responsive to input, and they seem to grab much better as well. Everything bled out super easy also.
They don't "flex" like the old style rubber ones will so you get a more solid feel on the pedal. Now you will never have to replace them again, unless of course you rip them off the truck.

als804

DOT 5 IS more better in terms of No Absorbing water from air. but once water ,anyway, permeate into the brake system, a rust in dot 5 system is much more worse than in dot 3/4 system. because water can be completely solved in dot 3/4 making solution that is not more corrosive than water being. but dot 5 and water can not be mixed so water is separate and stayed in the bottom of the brake system. this can results in very rusted caliper. No DOT is not perfect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks