• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unidentified towed object

2deuce

I got this UTO from the government. I think it was built for the military. It says it has a serial number, but I haven't found it. The paperwork I have for it says it cost $4474.
I've has this trailer quite a few years and it has become rusty. I intend to sandblast it and repaint it.
It was used to haul explosives. The sides and rear drop down. no wheel wells. It is heavy, made with a lot of diamond plate. It has the M37 style wheels and 900x16 tires. I don't think it was converted from an existing M series trailer. I'm posting these pictures hoping someone recognizes it.DSCN1778.jpgDSCN1775.jpgDSCN1777.jpgDSCN1776.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Marine Corps was and is notorious for producing shop-built trailers for specific needs, using anything from a few to a lot of standard military parts. They produce zero documentation or manuals for these!

As Gimp said, looks like an M116 (basic chassis for the M101 and other trailers) with a custom bed.

Can you get a better picture of the markings so I can add them to my USMC markings folder, please? I try to record as many markings as possible.

Cheers

Last edited:

2deuce

Did the marines put aftermarket beds on M116 trailers? I'm the 1st civilian owner. I thought M116 had 8 lug. This has 5 lug M37 wheels, big Budd nuts like the deuce. I have 5 pages of old paperwork and a explosive sign in that can on the hitch. Says Trailer, Cargo. Paperwork says it needs to be repainted. date of delivery 09075. Seems like it was moved between facility's on that date, (maybe) the paperwork form has a July'91 date. There is a inspection/workorder within the paperwork for painting... 8hrs/$500 cost of parts. Lists a 6 digit serial number for the trailer.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the 5 bolt with big lug nuts like the M37 too? Is that wheel capable of dual-ing up or is it just a big offset?

Chris, I see m116 with hummer 8 and the 5 lug like the m37 but no 6 lug like a deuce. We'll see when he puts the sides up.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the Marines put aftermarket beds on M116 trailers?......... Lists a 6 digit serial number for the trailer.
Yes, they will use other beds, or build/modify their own to suit their needs. Some of these trailers are one-offs.
To show how far they will go, I have a shop-built 35' step deck trailer built by one of the MCLBs!

All Marine vehicles post-1940s have a 6-digit ID number with no letters. The first two numbers usually denote what type vehicle it is. They will be listed on the data plate (if there is one) as USMC123456, or just 123456. Vehicles transferred from other services will often have their original registration listed also.

M116s started their life with 5-bolt M37 type hubs.
There was a 5-to-6 lug adapter for use when the 6-lug M715s were in service, so the trailer could use the M715 spare (I have a couple of these).
When the CUCVs came into service, the later M116s had 8-lug hubs to match the CUCV wheels/tires.
The even later M116A3s had dropped outer axles to accommodate Humvee tires.

Cheers

Pic- Wheel adapters to mount 6-lug M715 wheels on 5-lug M116 trailers

Attachments

Last edited:

2deuce

Do you think it was a one off build or did the Marines make a number of these trailers? A lot of effort and detail went into making the trailer. My guess is it started out as a M101 trailer. Is that the designation with the 5 lug axle and before surge brakes? Before the A1 & A2?

ThanksDSCN1791.jpgDSCN1792.jpgDSCN1793.jpgDSCN1794.jpgDSCN1795.jpgDSCN1796.jpgDSCN1797.jpgDSCN1798.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think it was a one off build or did the Marines make a number of these trailers? A lot of effort and detail went into making the trailer. My guess is it started out as a M101 trailer. Is that the designation with the 5 lug axle and before surge brakes? Before the A1 & A2?

Unknown to me how many were made, I've never seen one like yours. It does seem a really nice unit.
From the looks of your parking brake handles, it may be an A1, but someone with more knowledge would be needed to be sure.

Just to clarify - M116 is the chassis that the M101 is made from. If you took the bed off an M101, it would then be an M116. Same for all marks (A1/A2/A3). Clear as mud? :)
That is why some M101s have a data plate that reads M116. The chassis was used for other trailers types too, like generator, pioneer, HSTRU, etc.

Main differences -
M101/M116 is the version with 5-lug hubs, no surge brakes.
M116A1/M101A1 had different parking brakes, no surge brake, 5-lug hubs.
M116A2/M101A2 had 8-lug hubs, CUCV type rims/tires and surge brake.
M116A3/M101A3 had 8-lug hubs, Humvee tires/rims, surge brake, dropped outer axles for more clearance, and beefed up suspension. Many M101A3 beds had a wider floor between the wheel wells. Some A3s had CUCV rims/tires swapped on.

Light style is not a valid identifier, as many older trailers had newer style lights installed later in life. Same for rear stabilizer leg.

Cheers

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ID #283347 it appears

Interesting trailer.
Cool find.

Like mentioned, the Marines are masters of reusing/modifying the equipment they have to do the mission.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would concour to the A1 designation as the the tall curvy parking brake handles were on the earliest m101's

Very cool trailer.

I have a m116 with a custom bed that used diamond plate similar to this. It was a radar trailer for aircraft traffic control. Army unit that I picked up at Ft. Rucker. Serial # was in the low teens if I remember correctly.

2deuce

We put a gallon of rustoleum, rusty metal primer on it and almost got it all covered. Just a few spots left on the underside. Next week weather permitting it will get the flat green behr ultra premium. I always get a kick at the product names. I got a gallon of icecream last week it was super premium. Plain premium just doesn't cut it anymore. DSCN1802.jpgDSCN1801.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We put a gallon of rustoleum, rusty metal primer on it and almost got it all covered. Just a few spots left on the underside. Next week weather permitting it will get the flat green behr ultra premium. I always get a kick at the product names. I got a gallon of icecream last week it was super premium. Plain premium just doesn't cut it anymore. View attachment 773409View attachment 773410
Great find....it looks like the predecessor to a 105.

My experience is to use more primer than one coat under Acrylic Latex, premium or not. I've got rust coming right back through the water based paint over time, especially when I only put one coat of rust inhibitor red oxide.

I have taken to trying to put on more layers of primer and getting an oil based second coat that seals the porous nature of that red primer. The Rustoleum rattle cans in camo have been my choice andit seems to hold up well and will adhere to the acrylic latex. There are some other oil base camo but I have not used it.

Edit...try a place with flat black Rustoleum enamel and see if the Behr will stick. I think it will.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done several trailers with Rust O leum then top layered with Behr Marquee and it has worked well. Home depot can mix any of the federal paint color codes. The Behr marquee current "green" is really flat. When put next to carc it is an extremely close match.

2deuce

I've had good results with the rustoleum RMP topped with Behr latex. The only problem I had was when the metal was heavily pitted and I only put on 1 coat. Using a roller it left a few thin spots that did need more paint and those did rust through again.This time I gave the floor 2 coats, because that was where the rust was the heaviest, but I will inspect it all again to be sure.

Thanks

fabim37

Yes, they will use other beds, or build/modify their own to suit their needs. Some of these trailers are one-offs.
To show how far they will go, I have a shop-built 35' step deck trailer built by one of the MCLBs!

All Marine vehicles post-1940s have a 6-digit ID number with no letters. The first two numbers usually denote what type vehicle it is. They will be listed on the data plate (if there is one) as USMC123456, or just 123456. Vehicles transferred from other services will often have their original registration listed also.

There was a 5-to-6 lug adapter for use when the 6-lug M715s were in service, so the trailer could use the M715 spare (I have a couple of these).
When the CUCVs came into service, the later M116s had 8-lug hubs to match the CUCV wheels/tires.

Cheers

Cheers

fabim37

sorry to but in , is it possible for a m116 to come with m37 backing plate,shoes,spindle as well as bearings & hub?

since i cant find m116 parts manual i dont know.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The m101 tm manual will be the one you need.
The bare chassis is m116.
Many beds used in this series over the m116 chassis.
I posted the latest here on ss in the trailer tm section.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks