• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog FLU419 Tractor thing?

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard so many things...but lets get one thing straight....They are unique. I've owned many military trucks the consensus of most is they are all hard to work on...ie..M1070LOL! You have to be Quadruple jointed to work on it. This isn't the only time a vehicle/tractor has gotten ripped for being the best available item at the time. If you understand the process of military purchasing/acquiring you can understand why they chose a Unimog chassis gave it to Case and overlaid the Unimog with an additional 1" steel frame supports and attachments. It was the fastest tractor...compact and could be airlifted ect. Apparently Case and Unimog made lots of Money. Now there are better military units able to do more/quicker than the flu-419. But one thing they cannot do is be stripped down to a Unimog again and live a live as a pick-up. Yeah your thinking slow....I beg to differ. You get rid of all the extra case stuff and you have a highly capable crawler with additional benefits. Put some super fast axles in that thing...tune the engine up...drop some 44" tires on it...it will cruise down the road at 55-60mph. If you understand the Unimog its earlier counterpart you understand it's small cab ect. If you want a larger mog...then go for a Unimog 1300L ect. Or turn that SEE into a 4-door soccer mom SUV with a rear door.

One nice thing that this High Mobility tractor has disc brakes, a very stout engine OM352, a highly flexible frame provided you get rid of all the extra laden equipment, accessorize till you run out of money. For some...it's money well spent.

BigBison

I signed up for this forum, hoping to find someone with operational experience on the FLU-419 HMMH (I also have a SEE), specifically as regards the front-suspension lockout mechanism (HMMH only). Mine leaks, and either needs a total overhaul... or outright removal!

I own 40 acres of hilly, holey, rocky sagebrush I intend to develop. If I'm transporting a load across my property w/ the forklift, is it better to lock out the suspension, or is this a useless feature that's better off removed for less maintenance hassle?

No speculation, please! I'd like to hear from ex-military folks who have actual, hands-on experience with these units, if possible?

Sukhoi29

Hi
I am new here and have had a SEE for a year now and want to drop hydraulic oil and flush system. Anyone know where I can get the filters located on the two back tanks?
thanks

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They're not really filters, but more like strainers. If for whatever reason you want to replace them rather than clean what you have, they are indeed available.
Not that I remember from where, but I'll never forget how pricey they were.

What's the reason you need to flush the system? It sounds like you've already replaced the 10W motor oil with hydraulic fluid, so did you have a catastrophic pump failure?

Sukhoi29

Thanks for response, reason for flushing is that on very cold temps we could not operate loader and ended up finding moisture in the tank or should I say water. Decided to clean the backhoe tank and found water there as well
i will however look into just cleaning them out así found one unit on eBay and was quite pricey as you said

professorpg

I have been replacing bad hydraulic lines one at a time over
the last 5 years. It is time to replace them all. Anyone got a source for a
complete set of lines for a SEE?

Luv my Mog

dyno4521

I know this is an old post, but obviously you never used one of FLU419 backhoes or if so didn't use it long enough to appreciate it. I can tell you it has as much break out force as a regular Case backhoe and it will lift the 16,000 lb. truck and move it with the front bucket down and teeth in the ground and the outriggers fully extended. If anything its only real shortcoming is not weighing enough. I have dug holes 14 feet deep without getting into the hole. It also worked great for building a berm for our shooting range. It is about 8 ft. high and 40 feet long. I say about on the height as it changes with hard rains, LOL... Every now and then it takes a redo to get it back in shape.

professorpg

hoses?

I know this is an old post, but obviously you never used one of FLU419 backhoes or if so didn't use it long enough to appreciate it. I can tell you it has as much break out force as a regular Case backhoe and it will lift the 16,000 lb. truck and move it with the front bucket down and teeth in the ground and the outriggers fully extended. If anything its only real shortcoming is not weighing enough. I have dug holes 14 feet deep without getting into the hole. It also worked great for building a berm for our shooting range. It is about 8 ft. high and 40 feet long. I say about on the height as it changes with hard rains, LOL... Every now and then it takes a redo to get it back in shape.
Need help....I have a bad hose and lots of old weathered hoses.
Anyone have a list of backhoe hoses and hose fittings for the Mog?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Except for the feed and return lines and their QD couplings, I'd think that everything is standard Case 580 D stuff. If it's a D, I don't remember for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks