• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog from Brant Lake NY to Albany NY

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only 67 miles, all 4 lane highway. I'm getting quotes like $1200, $1500 which just strikes me as high, but what do I know.

It's a 1968 404 with a radio box. Runs no brakes. Height is 9'6" due to extra rack on top. I will hopefully own this by about 6PM, and then I'll need to move it ASAP.

I think the height is an issue in NY, requiring more expensive lowboy. If that is what is driving the price up, I'll remove the rack.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only 67 miles, all 4 lane highway. I'm getting quotes like $1200, $1500 which just strikes me as high, but what do I know.

It's a 1968 404 with a radio box. Runs no brakes. Height is 9'6" due to extra rack on top. I will hopefully own this by about 6PM, and then I'll need to move it ASAP.

I think the height is an issue in NY, requiring more expensive lowboy. If that is what is driving the price up, I'll remove the rack.
That's a nice project to work on if you get it. Are you planning on restoring it to original or keeping it as a camper?

unitedstatesoffreight

Hi there. I'd be glad to help you get this moved. Please feel free to reach out to me at eric@unitedstatesoffreight.com, or 786-247-1022. I'm confident I can get you a better price than that.

Firemanmike69

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Have you tried seeing if a wrecker company like Dawson's or Kennedy's will tow it with the drive shaft pulled? Might be a cheaper option than a lowbed but even that seems high. Try Galivan or call around to heavy equipment places, most of them have their own low boy trailers

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welp, it's a done deal. I'm a proud owner of a Unimog! I've called Dawsons and currently have them scheduled for next Wednesday, they quoted $250 an hour so I'm thinking that's not too bad. Not done researching still en route from Brant Lake.

That's a good idea about the axle. Eric, thank you I will call you early tomorrow.

So the truck is definitely military, either Swiss or German because everything in the truck is in German. Gun racks on one of the box doors.

Woooooo hooooooo! I'm in brothers! Official card carrying Green Addict.

Firemanmike69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welp, it's a done deal. I'm a proud owner of a Unimog! I've called Dawsons and currently have them scheduled for next Wednesday, they quoted $250 an hour so I'm thinking that's not too bad. Not done researching still en route from Brant Lake.

That's a good idea about the axle. Eric, thank you I will call you early tomorrow.

So the truck is definitely military, either Swiss or German because everything in the truck is in German. Gun racks on one of the box doors.

Woooooo hooooooo! I'm in brothers! Official card carrying Green Addict.
Hell yeah! Can't wait to see it when you get it home! If I was more confident in the condition of my wrecker we might have been able to tow bar it back, also I would need a tow bar lol.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if it weren't for my wintering out-of-state i could haul this for you .. i run the upper part of 87 on occasion still... Until six years ago i was running between glens falls and willsboro 3x-4x daily or nightly, with occasional jaunts into Ravena, PA, NJ, VA, and KY.. Your truck would be 12-6 on my stepdeck (1ft under max) and of course you always have option of letting some air out of your Mog's tires once it get on a trailer .. The last time I ran Rt8 was east of 87 and no low overpasses (10yrs ago) . Your only concern with a 13-6 max height should be what's overhead in your destination area once they get off 87 .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks