• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unimog help

UnimogMike

Thank you TedG,
Do you have pictures on your engine bay from inside and outside and possibly picture of your Unimog overall. Just want to see what your 416 Mog looks like.
Mike.

UnimogMike

Just an update, after fuel injection pump was rebuilt and sand and water removed from fuel tank, it runs great. Tank had to be cleaned and I also had to replace fuel tank pick up tubes, they had pin holes in them and were taking air in and fuel pump had water damage. Now the next question, when it is in HI gear in 4 th speed and the second shifter is in II position it techs at 20 on RPM guage and 35 MPH on speedo and it screams. What is the max RPM it should run at for extended period of time. I just did not want to over tech it.
Any advice
Thank you Mike.

TedG

Hi Mike,

Sorry I missed your post...I put up some pictures of my 406 excavator. It seems on the 406/416 series, there is a zillion ways that they are configured. So by looking at mine will be somewhat different than others. The serial number is extremely important and provide that to the suppliers when ordering parts or asking questions. The supplier will have access to the build cards from MB and determine what part you may or may not need. Like all big cool trucks (US or others), they are quite simple once you start turning wrenches on them...keeping in mind that you have the correct manuals...

Regarding the rpms, I do not have a tach but in using that diesel for many years, you can easily hear the sweet spot that allows the engine to work for many hours at a time. I beleive it is 130hp @ 2800rpm for the OM352 (5.7l) naturally aspirated engine. Whether it is using the back hoe or pushing soil around, there is an nice range in the power/torque and since it is an industrial type engine, 10,000 to 12,000 hours can easily be accomplished. The biggest concern in the north country is allowing that engine to warm up to operating temps prior to subjecting it load.

Interesting you had both sand and water in the fuel delivery system. That bites and was probably quite expensive to repair.

Regards,

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

The vaccum was on the OM614 220 diesel of the W113/114/115 and W123 Series passenger cars. The Mogs have either mechanical shut off or electrical shut off. Is beside your seat a knob of about 3/4 inch diameter with a tread going into the trans cover. Push this in as far as you can. Than pull. There should be at least a housing appox 1/2 inch long without tread coming out the cover. If this does not move, take ist out and make it working again. Thats the mecanical engine stop and the idle adjuster. It is unlikely that the injection pumps die of the Army service exept misused with strait gas or cranking without fuel.

professorpg

these are the filters for a OM 352? I am so new, that I am hoping to get my SEE delivered this saturday. I have never even had a diesel before. I plan on learning about it by do the maintainance. I am looking for a list of NAPA equivalents to the military jargon.
thanks for the help

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Prof,

Congrats on the SEE!

Suggestion: several types of filters have been used in the 406-type Unimogs, and on OM-352 engines, so get the engine number and truck ID number, call Sean Philyaw at Expedition Imports, 770-965-3311, and get a set of the real MB filters. These will have the correct Mercedes Benz seals and o-rings. A truck which has been sitting for a while will need that kind of TLC. Sean is the closest Unimog parts guy to you, I think.

BTW, you might start a fresh thread instead of hanging on to the end of this older thread....

Bob

these are the filters for a OM 352? I am so new, that I am hoping to get my SEE delivered this saturday. I have never even had a diesel before. I plan on learning about it by do the maintainance. I am looking for a list of NAPA equivalents to the military jargon.
thanks for the help

saddamsnightmare

April 29th, 2010:

Professorpg:

Another source of parts for your SEE might be UNIPASER in Palo Alto, Ca., they have a website, and their parts guy is Michael Smith. He usually nows what parts are needed for the S404 and later Unimogs, and he gets them to you fast. Freightliner might also be a source, although I would dread to see the prices for some of the parts on that beast if it came from them (as I believe it did).
Good luck with the SEE[thumbzup]

SixSpeed

Banned
Congrats on the purchase! What will you be using it for?

I usually deal with Scott @ Expedition Imports, but only ever 404 parts.

I know Eurotruck Importers deals exclusively with Diesel Unimog (Anything after the 404) parts. I have never dealt with them as a result, but they might be worth a call. They are in Atlanta. They are in Georgia, so shipping via. ground would be quick if you need bigger parts.

professorpg

I have 40 acres of woods and will start building a home this summer.
Here is my 12 step plan.
1. Read the manuals. – did it, operators twice, need to do it more.
2. Make 5 lists. start, stop, run, backhoe, front loader. – did it
3. Get it and the trailer off the transport truck.
4. Look it over, check fluids: oil, hyd, brake, water, battery, lock front loader.
5. Start it and listen to it.
6. Move it a little back and forth and turns.
7. Get out and listen and look it over.
8. Move it and try some gears.
9. Park it and check it over.
10. Front loader: smooth out some ruts by dragging teeth then scoop some dirt.
11. Backhoe: pull out some small stumps with ripper.
12. Realize how far I am from a real operator.
Since I have never even started a diesel before, I am open to suggestions.

professorpg

Hi, I am the guy with the SEE who is building the log home in the woods. I slashed a tire and need one. any suggestions as to where to get a used one? (12.5R20 XL Michelin )
thanks for the help.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out BergTires.com Home Page - Thousands of Used Tires - Military, Industrial, Large Truck, Heavy Equipment

They are good to deal with and are in this end of the country. Unless, of course, Jack has already helped you find one.

FWIW, I have cut the sidewalls in too many Michelin XL radials with single ply sidewalls. They are not a woods tire (or any other work that's tough on the sidewalls). You might want more than one spare.

Bob

Hi, I am the guy with the SEE who is building the log home in the woods. I slashed a tire and need one. any suggestions as to where to get a used one? (12.5R20 XL Michelin )
thanks for the help.

professorpg

Thank you all for your help. I bought the tire from Clinton at C and C Equipmentfor for $100. This is where I got the SEE in the first place. C and C and Clinton are the best....

thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks