• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog SEE at GSA

Wolf.Dose

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Unimog SEE at GSA

Hey guys,
the world can not be wrong with Unimogs. The "Freigthliner" Unimog was comletely made in Gaggenau/Germany for the US Army. But to be an American origin vehicle it was named Freightliner and sold to the US Army in the early 80th on request of the Army as an engineering vehicle. It got its own model code (digit 4 to 6 in the serial number), not to bee mixed with the ROW (rest of the world) vehicles. The Army requested a guaranteed 50 years period of time to deliver spare parts by Daimler Benz. But it is nothing but a 406 Unimog model. The axles are the standard 6 stud 4 ton axles of the Unimog. The engine is a standard 5.6 l diesel engine based originally on the Opel Blitz engine of WWII with the same family roots as the 269 CID Duce engine (both are GM engines, the M211 engine goes to the same family) The engine model should be an OM352 with reduced power. Unfortunally is was to difficult to use by the standard Army engineer of that time. Many of these came back to Germany the last years for little money and here they are collectors items for those who love Unimog and know how to use them according to their intentions. Then the Mog is unbeatable.
One more thing: This beast is a working mashine, not a tractor or a racing truck! These vehicles are allowed to go a maximum speed of 50 mph even on highways in Germany. Believe me, they can do it! And you have to care for balanced tires like on a passenger car.
Remember: A Mog never is perfect, but never broken that much that it will not run any more. Somehow they always bring you home, even in the crawler gear. Forget the others, do not turn your head around, ignor the horns of big rigs. These idiots can not follow you of the highway! Love your Mog!
Wolf

RangerJake72

seems there is a small bolt that holds the linkages to the block and acts as a pivot point, it vibrated loose and dropped out, main air regulator leaks and has to be adjusted daily, backhoe seems weak in digging, may be a regulator on the hydraulic system, and it does seem a bit underpowered overall

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

Underpovered is a matter of understanding! The engine power is according to the requirements. It is a working mashine, not a racing truck! If your mog, Ranger Jake 72, seems to be underpowered, your requests are not accordingly to the mogs intention! So you better sell it! Loose bolts are not a matter of poor designe, it's a matter of poor service!
If I would claime the same way about a US made truck I use since 26 years, I better should have sold it 25 years ago!
These babies are children of their time. Do not compare with state of the art designes of 2008! A Jimmy, a Dodge or a Jeep from WWII is a peace of history and you have to live with the problems or look for an other hobby!
By the way, the silly two part brake system (air over hydraulic) is as silly as for example the Reo M35-series system, only with higher pressure but with 2 instead of 1 circuit. So it is much safer than the M35 brake system! If someone unothorized put his unskilled fingers in the pressure regulator or in the multi circuit safety valve, this person is to be regarded as a killer on purpose. These parts are only repared, if neccessary, by the manufacturer, which means WABCO or KNORR! Even Daimler does not repair these parts!

RangerJake72

cant sell this vehicle, as it belongs to the state, of which I'm an employee of, it's not a bad vehicle, so long as you realize it is a series of compromises, and i highly doubt there is anybody who is qualified to repair this vehicle here (not likely the state will spend the $$ to find an authorized service) too many of the people i work with would work this machine hard, put it away wet, ignorant of it's capabilities and limitations
(it seems I have become the go-to guy for the 'Mog, as I have used it the most and read the manuals, though I am hardly a qualified mechanic

K5NUTT

Regardless....i'd still love to own one of these jewels.
Can anybody provide any info on the S.E.E.'s? Manuals...
more photos's...selling prices...ie:DRMO....civy lots...etc.

Wolf.Dose

Sorry, you are too late. DRMO sales are over (except some forgotten ones). Only change to my unterstanding is someone with space problems....or a city wants to get ridge of the misunderstood vehicle... In Germany not foreseeable, they stay for at least 30 years in service.
Wolf

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if SEE sales are slow, if you want the equivalent, the basic Unimog 406 model is the equivalent to the SEE in most ways, and is still available. They show up for sale on Ebay and private sales. There's a front loader for a 406 on Ebay now. The advantage of the 406 with accessories is the ease of swapping implements, and having a standard 3-point attachment system.

Many of the "moggers" who buy 406's for trail use and daily drivers discover they are a little short for steep descents (like over 100% downgrade), or just a little slow (they'll do 55 with a little tweeking and large tires) for interstate driving.

As an all around tractor and truck, the 406 can't be beat, IMHO. I use one for all my farm mowing, plowing, disking, backhoe work, loader work, road maintenance, spraying etc. One of my projects is a 40 ft hydraulic crane with 18" hydraulic auger (a Pitman Polecat) which sits on the back of the 406. I cut my firewood with a hydraulic chain saw run off the 406 (ok, who else has a 75 hp chain saw!), and split the logs with a splitter run hydraulically from the Unimog, and easily transported on the 3-point on the back.

Maintenance wise, when you buy a 30 year old truck that has been maintained by some highway department worker who could care less, never washed the salt off the truck for "environmental" reasons, and didn't have parts to fix it, it'll take some work. But once it's back to good condition it'll last a long time with little effort.

Also on the positive side, where else can you buy such a workhorse with low mileage (many have only a few thousand miles) and engine hours (under a thousand is common) and practically giveaway prices. Kinda like finding a pristine M35 in someone's barn. One acquaintance has a SEE with 88 miles on it.

Well, you can see I'm a Unimog fan.

Bob

Wolf.Dose

Bob,
you use your Unimog in the intended way of use. Maintain your Unimog and get old with it. Probabely it will never leave you alone. The only ennemy left for you Umimog seems to be rust.
Good luck,
Wolf

saddamsnightmare

October 11th, 2008.

Gentlemen:

Unimogs are like mistresses, they always want for something, and it's always gonna cost you a lot.....! Especially with the dollar in the tank!!! Having said that, if any of you catbirds want to get rid of a running SEE or the 406 equivalent, give me some thought. My Swiss S.404.114 came back from Dallas under it's own power 130+ miles in 3-1/2 hours and 7.5 gallons of gas (yes!), and other then needing a new cab paulin and bed tarpaulin, some new floorboards for the bed, and some paint.... she runs like a champ... Slow, dependable and powerful, shames all the US pickups for where she can go and what she can do....
The only bad thing with the S.404.114's is you do need to be a mountain goat to get in or out... and no complaints about the cab heater or the independent electric wipers.... The germans came up with some weird engineering on this one, but the U1300L's and the U500's seem to have those points ironed out....

[thumbzup]
Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare"
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2
1963 Swiss

Wolf.Dose

Hallo Mog-lover Kyle F. McGrogan,
thanks for your positive statement on Unimogs.
If you know how to get in, it is easy. The 404 S shall not be compared with a U500. Is is the same as to compare a TV-set from 1955 with a TV-set of 1998. Of course there is some progress.
However, your fuel consumption seems a little low, 28,5 liters for 210+ Kilometers. Good running 404S need about 25 liters a hundred kilometers or about 9 mpg, some may be at 22 liters or 10.4 mpg. Or did you mean 7.5 mpg?
US Pick ups are made for an other leage of use than the Unimog. And Mogs are in a completely different price leage.
Keep them running!
Wolf

saddamsnightmare

January 14th, 2009.

Dear Wolf:

No, the figures quoted were for my S.404.114 which had just come out of the shop with a rebuilt carb, fuel pump, cleaned fuel tanks, new boots on the driveshafts, new
exhaust pipe from the double header pipe back, pertronix ignitert ignition and civillian plugs, and no canvas on except for the cab roof + 5 scrap Swiss 10.5 X 20 NDT's in the bed, so she was carrying a fair load.. The run was about 130 miles in 3-1/2 hours, and included about 15 - 20 miles of stop and go rush hour traffic. The speed varied between 1 MPH to about 70-75 KMPH down to 60 KMPH in spots due to hills and to ease the wear and tear on the transmission. She had also been refitted with 5 German Army Belgian Uniroyal M+S tires, 12.5X20's, so she could not and has yet to hit her usual 100kmph running speeds. The mileage is calculated from full tanks in Dallas at the workshop to Reno, Tx refill within 3 miles of home, and the amount worked out to 18 MPG on the road. She has maintained this consumption rate on the roadin warm weather, doing as low as 10 MPG in city traffic with lots of stops and starts at stop lights. The engine is the usual M180 MB ponton 6, and other then a light consumption of oil (crankcase) due probably to worn oil rings, and the addition of top cylinder oil to lubricate the valves, she runs exceptionally well and has been on several 30/ 40 mile road trips at about 45-48 MPH. I'd love to have a U1300L, but for what they are designed to do, theS.404.114's seem to be more agile and somewhat better behaved then most folks give them credit for. Of course, i do not and will not beat her the way that the rock crawlers over here abuse their S's.
RESPECTFULLY, I never had a great deal of use for German engineering before this S., feeling it depended too much on PM and not enough on robustness... but the Unimog has convinced me that they knew what they were doing.:-D

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

NB:currently she has about 24,600 original KM's on her, from all accounts, based on general wear and tear this is a correct estimate. That was 7.5 U.S. Gallons of plus grade unleaded, she's since been weaned to a mixture of 75% unleaded regular and 25% plus, with about 4 oz of top cylinder oil per 10 gallons of gasoline used. Plus the S. does take a bit of a mountain goat to get in and out, especially for us 50+ grunts....I think the later U.'s and the Modern ones are a little easier to get into, but the Swiss tailgate's easier to climb then the deuces!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks