• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unit markings bumper Vietnam era

bliksimpie

hello all

I am new member and need advice.

first, sorry for my ignorance, I am from South Africa and dont know your military structures, hence my question for help on military markings.

I have a M606A2 (equivalent to M38A1), 1967 jeep. The m606A2 was mostly exported. I want to paint correct Bumper markings for my jeep to reflect vietnam era Jeep. I have read up on 1 cavalry division and would like to have 1st cav division, but I dont have any idea what come after that (the intermediat and units). From I have it that the bumper marking is being made up as follows.

1. The Major Command it is assigned to
2. The Intermediate Command it is assigned to
3. The Unit or Activity it is assigned to
4. The vehicle number for convoy purposes, aka: Order of March

So what can I use to make up a unit that served in Vietnam eg. 1 cavalry, company E, 52nd Infantary - how will it show ??
1CAV ?? ?? 10

Please give me some guidance to numbers I can use that would present a valid vietnam era Bumper code. through a couple and I can then choose one.

Thank you kindly
Johan

My jeep:
(yes I know colour is not 100% correct and maybe many other aspects. I am working on it to get it right. it take a bit of time)
M606A2_03.jpg

M606A2_02.jpg

M606A2_05.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

bliksimpie

Thank you kindly.
I have found simmilar site, but I am at a loss.
eg:
Company E, 52d Infantry (Ranger)

How will it need to be setup in bumper
1CAV E 52I 10
or
1CAV 52I E 10
or
1CAV 52-1 E 10
or
1C 52-1 E 10

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
From the short research I've done on line I would think

1CAV 52I on passenger front and drivers side rear bumpers

E-10 on drivers front and passenger rear (dash may or may not be used, some did and some didn't).

Question would be if the 'I' was just an "I" or if it was IN. (1CAV 52IN). Keep in mind that although there was a regulation on bumper markings, normally it was some private put on extra duty for some indiscretion that never read that regulation that put those numbers on the bumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks