• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Universal electric wipers, modify?

merlot566jka

So I have these universal wipers on my truck. They've been on there since Feb 2013. They were sold as 12v. Although I've see. Them in 6v and 24v. I am powering them with 12v

Yet, I think they're too slow. And they don't travel as far as I want them to.

I believe I saw here where someone had modified them so they have more travel. I've searched for about an hour for that post, but I can't find it anywhere.

In that post, there were pics of the motor opened up and being ground down for modification. I was curious to see the windings and taps on the motor; hopeful to see multiple tappings to allow 24v change over. If no 24v tap, I wonder if they actually use a different winding... I imagine so being a 6v, 12v and 24v variations. Reason for desire of different voltage, is hopes for a faster speed.

Anyway... Anyone have these? Have you attempted to modify the stops for more travel? Are yours slow too? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412560842.916668.jpg

rustystud

Most all electric wiper motors cannot be modified to adjust the travel. It is a matter of gearing. The most common off the top of my head are 90 degree, 110, and 120 degree's of travel. Some of the newer cars can have some extreme angles ! But they are not adjustable. The motor always travels in the same direction. If the motor switched directions then you could adjust the stops.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure would be nice if we could contact the manufacture to see if
other degrees of travel were available. Speed changing would be nice, too.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

peashooter

I bought some of these universal motors and modified the driver's side one so that it would park in the opposite position. The windings are specific to the voltage so there are not other voltage power taps inside unfortunately. Their is a gear inside with an arm riveted to it, you would need to mount the arm in a different location and figure out a way to retain it in the new spot (maybe a shoulder screw).... but I'd recommend just getting a different brand if you want 24v and a different travel. Its probably worth trying to find a takeout a3 unit, they can be had affordably if you look hard. Often you can just buy the windshield assembly that comes with it, I spoke to a guy the other day that bought a new windshield assembly from an A3 w/ wipers for $200. It was off an m109a4 with 800 miles on it, and in nearly new condition.

peashooter

thats a good price on the link you provided. I bought one of these a year or 2 ago to try out, nice unit and it was a 2 speed. Only problem was it needed a really big hole in the windshield. I ended up not using it but would like to see someone try it. I think they have a smaller diameter shaft version but the normal price will be lots more.

rustystud

The only problem with this style of wiper motor, is that the motor must change direction after each swipe. That causes a lot of wear on the contacts. In most wiper motors the motor spins in one direction only. The gearing causes the shaft arm to oscillate back and forth. So for longevity you would be better off going with a standard wiper motor with a predetermined angle of swipe.

59apache

Chipmaker
Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks