• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Universal Joint replacement M1009

86M10086.2L

So after my truck developed a slight vibration and annoying squeak. I prepared myself for the inevitable failing universal joint(s). So I got my truck up on the lift, pulled the drive shaft and quickly discovered that the transfer case yoke joint was bad. Probably 1/16" of play when twisted in opposition to the drive shaft. Did some research and measured my old joints and found that not only were they the original with those annoying plastic retaining rings. But also 1 1/8" bearing caps and not the more commonly stocked 1 1/16" joints used in many civilian applications. Picked up a set of new Moog/Precision part# 534G replacement u-joints with the clips that go on the inside (not on the top). Broke out the cutting torches because no amount of hammering or pressure would budge them. Cut them out, knocked out the caps and removed the remnants of the plastic retaing rings. I chose to use a table mounted vise to press the new joints in. A C clamp, hydraulic press or a steady hammer will do it also. Not a particularly interesting or difficult job but thought I'd share anyway.

Matt Kahle

Cool sounds like you got it right. I always love to use a bench vise for pressing universal joints. One thing that bothers me is how did it get that much play in those parts?

86M10086.2L

It sounds a lot worse than it was. The joints get dry, and they wear quick. Don't be fooled by greasable joints. In my expierience no matter where the zerk fitting is placed. One or more posts will still never get grease. No matter how much you put in.

Matt Kahle

I bet the new set of moog un-joints will help out big time. I'm a fan of moog parts the only thing I don't like about them is there grease joints.

86M10086.2L

If I still had my M1008 I would have more than likely went with some non-greasable joints. Being as I neither plan on hard core rock crawling, doing smokey burnouts or towing a Japanese Super tanker with the M1009. I'll take the American made greasable joint as a more than satisfactory replacement.

Skinny

I've always stuck with OEM Spicer greasable joints because they last the longest and are typically strongest for not much more money but could never source them locally except for Robins or Federated parts store. Even then they are never in stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks