• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Universal to Replace Steering Rag Joint?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have searched and cannot find the answer.

I am now installing crossover steering and a 2WD steering box in my M1028. I was wondering if anybody has replaced the steering rag joint with a greasable univeral joint. It seems I saw a photo on here a while back, but my searches came up empty.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike Gresham

notsosanestan

u can use a jeep cherokee sterring shaft they have u joints. some people have said they had to shorten them
others say it bolt right in.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I would bump this up. Anybody know anything about a universal joint to replace the steering rag joint?

Thanks.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Flaming River offers a universal joint to replace the GM rag joint Chrome Moly Racing Universal Joints - 3/4" DD X 3/4"-48 Chrome Moly Racing U-Joint - 3/4" DD X 3/4"-20 Chrome Moly Racing U-Joint .

The male shaft of my rebuilt PSC 2WD steering box is 3/4" x 30 splines, and the factory GM steering shaft is 1" diameter with two "flat" tapers, which causes the end of the shaft to look like double DD's backed up against each other. So I ordered the Flaming River #FR1939-8 3/4"-30 x 1" DD.

When I get this installed I will add photos to my rebuild thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/54469-kinda-got-carried-away.html .

Regarding the Jeep XJ upgrade

You probably want the 97-01 years of the Jeep XJ intermediate steering shaft. I also bought 1 of the '84-94 shafts of the same model, but only the lower u-joint has the correct splines for the GM steering box. With the '97-01 years, you can use both ends and thereby upgrade 2, yes 2, CUCV rag-joints for the low-low price of about $30, but we can't do this all day, so order now, and get the second joint absolutely frreeee...

Ken_86gt

Here is one example, there are more variations of course:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y26tFeofUfA[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0WMsSJ2CoA[/media][media]

Last edited:
Since the stock GM top joint is actually a CV-type joint, I chose to use that in the upgrade. This also allowed me to upgrade all 6 of my CUCVs with just 3 of the '97-01 model XJ shafts ( I bought four shafts off ebay for a grand total of about $95 including shipping, and the lowest price I could find for a single Borgeson unit was $235). There is a snap ring that holds that joint together. I used a pick to take the snap ring out and inspected the CV joint, found it to be like-new with the grease even looking fresh, and put it back together. If you drill the plastic pins out of the GM shaft, it will slide apart easily.
Ok, I finally figured out how to send these pics to my flikr account.
1) Cut the rag joint flange. All the way through on one side, and then about half way through on the other, then pry the first side open with a flat-tip screwdriver. It will practically fall off the shaft but may need a little help with a small hammer. You will then find the bottom part of that female shaft is indeed a DD section that matches the male shaft of the XJ perfectly.
2) Shows the XJ shafts with the late-models on top and bottom and the '84-94 model in the middle.
3) The shafts pull apart by hand.
4) I cut the lower ujoint off about 2" up, but if you want to only cut it an inch up, it will give you one more inch of collapsability.
5) Shows the old bottom GM shaft with the flange taken off and the XJ's ujoint wedged in place. It is a nice tight fit. I put another joint next to it to show how much the male shaft went into the female shaft (don't get excited). If you want to get back every bit of the collapsable section, you could cut the male shaft off perhaps 1/2" from the end, then wedge it in and weld a bead around the area where they bottom out together.
6) Shows the other end of the XJ's shaft with that u-joint in place. Keep in mind, I am using a 2-WD steering box on this M1028 for a crossover steering mod, so your splines may be a little different. The splines are a little different with the 2WD box, but the female part on the XJ's upper shaft is made of aluminum, so with a small ball-peen hammer, it will slide right onto the male splines of the steering box, and fits nicely after that. If you knock it back off, you'll see how there is just a little area that will have an indention of maybe two splines dug into the flat area of the aluminum spline section, and they are not dug in deep at all. The bottom XJ ujoint fits like it was made for the application.
7) This is the only problem with using the upper part of the XJ intermediate steering shaft for it's ujoint. The length of the part that is able to collapse is decreased to about 2". Since there is is such a long overlap between the shafts, I'll probably take the bottom section back out, take it to a machine shop, and have them DD the female shaft all the way down, then cut off about 6 more inches, or wherever the stock GM shaft comes up to, and reinstall it with every bit of the collapsable portion back in place. I'll post how much the machine shop charges to run the shaft through a press to DD it.

Attachments

Last edited:
This is what I used, it is a little pricey but comes with a warranty. Borgeson 000935 Borgeson Truck Steering Shafts
"A little pricey" = $235 at the very least, and more like $280. To do all 6 of my CUCVs it would have cost at least $1400! Besides, where is the sense of accomplishment in going that route? I did all 6 trucks for less than $100, got to use my good ol' American ingenuity, and have upgraded the rag joint to a u-joint every bit as well as having had Borgeson do it for me and paying them a premium price to do so. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll save the bucks for other upgrades that I will learn to do myself, and save even more clams.

Save the Clams!!!!:jumpin:

In this pic, the first one posted showing the Borgeson shaft installed, it looks as if there is basically no portion of the shaft that will collapse and avoid impaling the driver with the steering wheel! Good luck!

K10A

I used 1000 series PTO u joints. Bombproof. Ive since scrapped the truck but the shaft is still out there running around...

See the rubber boot.........that's the slip joint. Sharecropper asked for suggestions so I offered!
I see that. Looks like it might collapse about a 1/2" too!
I ran into the same problem with the upper section of the XJ shafts I used. I figured a way to DD the shaft further down than it was, and cut it down so I could get back the 6 inches or so of travel it is supposed to have to avoid steering wheel impalement of the driver. Like I said, good luck with that...

Iceman3005

6 inches of travel? what rag joint are you using, mine had less than an inch, had to unbolt gear box to remove it. As for my new shaft it has a little more than an inch, so yes.......to answer your question, I am having good luck with it. If it is not enough slip, shaft can be cut. When I got the shaft it was too long (universal fit), has to be cut for each vehicle.

6 inches of travel? what rag joint are you using, mine had less than an inch, had to unbolt gear box to remove it. As for my new shaft it has a little more than an inch, so yes.......to answer your question, I am having good luck with it. If it is not enough slip, shaft can be cut. When I got the shaft it was too long (universal fit), has to be cut for each vehicle.
I think we are on different pages here. The stock intermediate shaft has only about an inch of travel as it sits, and this is due to the CV joint located at the top of the shaft being able to slide in and out, but the shaft is designed to collapse by about 6 inches in a front-end collision. If you drill out the 2 little plastic plugs on each side there in the middle and pull it apart, take out all the plastic pieces inside, then put it back together, you'll see there is now about 6" travel. In your case with the Borgeson shaft, the fix is probably as easy as taking the shaft apart and cutting the female shaft down by about 5 or 6 more inches, then re-installing it. You'll see that you then have the same amount of collapsability as the stock intermediate shaft does, and you may actually thank me for pointing this out if you ever have the misfortune of being glad your steering wheel gave way before your chest did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks