• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Univis 47 - Oil for Oilgear Turret Traverse on Sherman Tank - Question

Needle

Will be doing an overhaul on the Sherman tank turret traversing system this winter, and the manual for the Oilgear system specifies the use of "Oil, Hydraulic, Univis 47". Anyone know what the spec is for this Univis 47, and the name of a modern equivalent? I will need about 1 gallon.

Thanks for any assistance/direction.

PS. Says I can use SAE 20, but only in emergency, and must remove it at earliest opportunity, and replace with proper oil, so no point in going with SAE 20.

Last edited:

ReoRider

I've been using regular hydraulic oil in the traversing system on the Stuart. Works fine on the gyrostabilizer as well. Just match the weight to the temperature range in your area, there is nothing special about the pumps or valves that require anything different.

Needle

Thanks ReoRider for the info. I had phoned the Mobil "experts" line to find out what they could tell me about Univis 47, since they currently market a range of oils called Univis. The guy on the line had never heard of Univis 47, but knew all about Univis N32, N46 and N68, and so he said he would do some research and phone me back. Well, today he did, and he had, through research come up with the same response as yours. Any regular hydraulic oil, suitable for the temperature range I expected to be running in, would work as a replacement for Univis 47. He recommended DTE 10 Excel 46, or any equivalent "46".....which seems to be the norm and is available over the counter at most auto stores or Tractor Supply outlets. So, after your advice, and that of the "petrochemical expert", that is what I will go with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks