• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unknown generator

GerWJ

is there a site w/pics of older generators?
found an older Civil defense generator small flathead engine (looks like small jeep engine) about 3' high, 2' wide and 3' long 220V, 120V and I think 28 or 12 VDC radiator at one end and control panel at other
and of course no data plates everything else is there thats rare and neat
it runs not sure on generator part yet
would like to ID it if I get it will need manual
will get pic's next trip
thanks

LanceRobson

If it's only three foot long it's too short to be a jeep engine. Hobart, Delcolite and others used small 4 cylinder water cooled engines, such as the Hercules XPDs etc.

When you get pics, get the control panel, load center, and the alternator/generator side views. More pics are better than less.

If it has a "house" around it, look all over the inside for data plates or decals. The alternator/generator serial number and the way it is sequenced can be a big help in IDing the make and model.

Surprisingly, even if it dates to the '40s, if it's made by someone who's still in business, they can often find the documentation and are willing to copy it and send it to you. Hobart recently provided me documentation for a Navy 1942 generator.

Please note whether it has a starter or if the generator has start windings. Also, unless you find a data plate or tag, don't assume it is 12V or 24V. We've got one Fairbanks-Morse "Light and Power Plant 5kW set with 18V start windings in the alternator.

If it has a hand crank, you can start it with that and check the charging voltage. that's a lot less dramatic than blowing up an over charged battery.

Most of these were set up to run at 1200 or 1800 RPM and will last forever if the oil is changed and the air cleaner is serviced.

Please PM me in case I miss your post. We've got 30 or more old sets and may be able to help ID the critter.

Lance

GerWJ

generator

no housing
has starter 24V
radiator one end, control panel other end
no gas tank has remote line to stick in tank
flathead 4cyl about 1/2 size of jeep engine
water proof plugs
water reture comes out of head at angle
110v outlet, slave cable (two prong) 4 twist outlets and set of terimals to direct wire,
freq meter says 50/60 cycles
no labels or data plates but lot of dirt and paint

will try to clean up and get picture and send

LanceRobson

That sounds more modern than any of ours. They're all WWII or older.

50/60 cycles, waterproof plugs and 24 volts with a slave receptacle sounds like mid '50s or later GI. The water cooled engine seems to indicate no later than the early '60s. The Army went to nearly all air cooled for it's smaller generators (less than 15kW) to try to save shipping volume and weight. The Navy, though, had some small water cooled sets a little after the Army went to all air cooled for it's small stuff. A lot of the Navy stuff was painted gray.

Lance

EDIT: I just re-read you post and saw the bit about the twist-locks. I don't think I can remember ever seeing a GI gas gen set with them. Can anyone else remember a gas GI set with twist-locks?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I saw one advertised as a military genset that was 12v and had the twist-lock plugs. I called and was told it was for tent lighting. Never got to get up to check it out though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks