• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unknown HMMWV Hood mounting device?

mudsharkangler

Hello.

New HMMWV (made in 1989) to me, ex Virginia National Guard I understand.

Does anybody know what this mounting attachment is for...even better, a picture of it in use??

I have searched and asked around, with multiple different answers. Nothing definitive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

Attachments

Socommfg

That, my friend , is a holder for the new scanning inventory system that is in use today. Complete track of ALL vehicles and equipment, anywhere any time.

We had a pile of the units on equipment we purchased.

Ernie

Wire Fox

Or to sway the topic a bit for my own purposes: My truck has one on it, too. Anyone have any good uses for one? Mine's on the A pillar instead of the hood.

Socommfg

Most of those used a double side tape. VERY strong.
Take a heat gun and heat up the plastic area, Use aluminum foil to protect the paint. As the plastic gets hot, it will soften and you can remove it in sections. (Don't get in a hurry)
Any sticky tape left... put mayonnaise on it and let it soak in or You can also use a product called "GUNK OFF" that removes decals and residue from body molding.

Ernie

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IT's the holder for an RF Tag.

I think I might have one laying around if anyone wants to add that level of realism to their truck. They take a really odd 3.2V battery IIRC.

Jakob1944

That, my friend , is a holder for the new scanning inventory system that is in use today. Complete track of ALL vehicles and equipment, anywhere any time.

We had a pile of the units on equipment we purchased.

Ernie

What?.......Is this like a 'Global' tracking device for that particular vehicle.....

I did have some one tell me that in Germany the US could "see" where any of their vehicles were at all times and radio them into position (so to speak)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What?.......Is this like a 'Global' tracking device for that particular vehicle.....

I did have some one tell me that in Germany the US could "see" where any of their vehicles were at all times and radio them into position (so to speak)
That's different. That was Probably the Blue Force Tracker.

This is mainly a shipping/transportation related thing. The same tags can be put on parts, inside containers from 40' milvans to mini-tri-walls. It's designed to work with civilian and military receivers.

FloridaAKM

I have recovered military trailers that have these things on them, including the RFID device attached to them. Some depots have a RFID scanner that you drive thru that actuates the device for the scanner to read. There have been auctions on GL that sell the RFID units....NO SALE for this lot happens as they are useless for us Civy guys who don't have to track our trailer movements. YMMV.....

Jakob1944

That's different. That was Probably the Blue Force Tracker.

This is mainly a shipping/transportation related thing. The same tags can be put on parts, inside containers from 40' milvans to mini-tri-walls. It's designed to work with civilian and military receivers.

Ohhhhh......That explains why my Humvee has a bar code on the panel next to my right knee near the padlock cable tube......Probably to aid in putting together a shipping manifest for movement

Last edited:

Wire Fox

I thought I'd chime in with some more hard info for this, because I stumbled across one that was brand new, less than $10 delivered... It's the mount for a Savi Tech ST-654 series EchoPoint RFID Cargo Tracking Tag. It uses a 3.6V Lithium 17500 battery. It has a 100m line-of-sight range with matched omnidirectional receiver system. It looks like the common one that has NSN #'s is the ST-654-001, but I ordered a ST-654-034 because it clearly stated that it supported the ISO 18000-7 standard (and it was dirt cheap). I'm hoping they all fit the same standard mount. ...at $7.50 delivered, I felt that it would be a fun and harmless test. I believe the ST-654-001 supports ISO 18000-7 as well, but I'm not 100% certain. I do know that the tags have a 128k memory that is programmable, so it will beacon out whatever data you put into it. This might be an inventory list, an ID linked to an online database, or whatever you want to link to it.

At the very least, I'm hoping I can program some rediculous message into it, so if I ever pass near a port or military base, my hope is that it would trip my tag and maybe cause the monitoring operator some confusion, followed by a good laugh...

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of those used a double side tape. VERY strong.
Take a heat gun and heat up the plastic area, Use aluminum foil to protect the paint. As the plastic gets hot, it will soften and you can remove it in sections. (Don't get in a hurry)
Any sticky tape left... put mayonnaise on it and let it soak in or You can also use a product called "GUNK OFF" that removes decals and residue from body molding.

Ernie
I had one on mine attached with velcro strips...Came off very easy with a heat gun but did leave marks from fading and dirt.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As an "old" bodywork and auto-interior guy...

Removal of most double sided tape is with either heat gun OR strong dental floss or woven fishing line. A combination of heat and thread helps, followed by removal of adhesive with several adhesive removers on the market that you can buy at commercial auto chains or flea-bay. Woven fishing line is superior to single strand varieties, and fishing line is better than dental floss.

If you have access to surgical supplies (I do and others might), use the same arthroscopic "fiber wire" sutures meant for rotator cuff shoulder repairs. Stronger than steel in tension, so it makes a great cutting wire. I use them frequently to "de-badge" my cars and such. Most surgeries don't need all the suture in the kit, so left-overs are thrown away, making this re-purposing and not theft.

As far as the explanations about the purpose of this device... cool.

Best,

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks