• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unloading an M1082 - Caging Bolts and other unloading strategies

m_o_n_t_y

Short version: Does anyone have the exact specs for the caging bolts for an M1082?

Long version: I bought an M1082 on GP that is being delivered this week. I am a total beginner at this. I do not know if the caging bolts are in their storage location, so I'd love to have an extra set on hand if necessary. Also... in searching the forum to see if this was already answered elsewhere, I read that sometimes the brakes are just rusted shut anyway. I read about prying them apart and rocking the trailer back-and-forth with the tow vehicle to try to break them apart, but I'm not sure that's going to work if it's on the delivery guy's trailer. Any other thoughts/advice regarding getting it unloaded? I have a friend with a fork lift, not sure if it has the capacity/reach for this job though? Thanks gentlemen, I'm already learning a lot from your previous threads.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go to a heavy duty truck parts house and ask for “air brake caging bolts” they will fix you right up, they seem to be universal. If you study your auction pics you might see if the brakes are caged or not, if yes you will see a stud with nut protruding from the air brake canisters. A forklift to unload this from the side will need to be a big un, like 15000 capy with xl forks. Your auction rep might be able to let you know if your trailer rolls or not.

m_o_n_t_y

Thanks. They are not caged (based on the photos) but I'm hopeful the bolts are in their storage space. I found caging bolts on Napa, but there seemed to be different models available so I was hoping someone could link me to the right ones. Yeah, I definitely don't have a forklift that big. Someone suggested squirting soap on the trailer deck and dragging it off. Not sure how the delivery guy would like that, so definitely open to better ideas!

1688431304906.png

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of senarios there without seeing how its loaded on the trailer hopefully it was backed onto the haul trailer so you could back up to it with a pickup truck with a pintle hitch to hook to the 1082 if he has ramps even better or maybe you know of a place with a earth dock the driver can back up to ! If you dont any local wrecker service would just hook a 4 leg bridal to the tiedowns in the floor of the 82 and just lift the 82 and the driver pull out from under the 82 then have the wrecker set the trailer almost all the way down to where you can unpin and crank up the landing gear back under the trailer then you back up to the tounge of the trailer and let the wrecker guy set it onto your pintle hitch all this because your truck wont be high enough to just back up to the hitch -hookup then roll up the landing gear so just get it on your truck and slowly take it home and chain a hi-lift jack to the tounge of the trailer and get it off your truck then jack it up high enough to get the landing gear down and pinned in place with the stainless pin ! You will get what im saying once its all in front of you the main thing is chaining that hi lift jack to the trailer tounge in such a way that it can NOT COME LOOSE from the trailer neck or tilt or lean til you can start hooking to it with a taller truck to eliminate this part is the only dicey part ! I went and got both my 1082s with my 3/4 ton pickup and brought them home both 100 miles away and if you have to pull it with a civialian veh get a set of magnetic taillights from harbour freight and duck tape them onto the icc bumper on the back of the trailer and just take your time and remember the trailer weighs like 6500 lbs like pulling a boat so use your head on stopping it and you will be fine !

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easiest solution is just get the cage bolts.
It’s the same effort to drive to NAPA and get a gladhand adapter as it is to drive to NAPA and buy caging bolts. If he airs up the tank, he still has use of the brakes so if he gets into an“oh crap” moment during unloading, he can have a helper in a safe zone with a string tied to the parking brake pull it and stop the trailer. If he cages those brakes and the trailer gets away from him, he is screwed.

IMG_1967.jpeg

m_o_n_t_y

Great advice, thank you. I'm going to ask them to put the hitch towards the back, that makes so much sense. The opening of the pintle hitch on my truck is about 41" off the ground, think that will do the trick? My other concern is that the brakes will be seized up and the caging bolts (or even charging the air system) won't pop them open. Any idea how likely this scenario is? I've read (on other threads here) you can open the air connections on the brake chambers and squirt some WD40 in there, then bump the trailer back a bit with the truck, but I'm hoping I don't have to get that involved while the delivery guy is waiting. Any other tips on that scenario? Also, were the caging bolts in their storage location on your trailers or had they been scavenged? Thanks for the in-depth help!

m_o_n_t_y

get a gladhand adapter
Good call, I'll get one. I thought my air compressor was dead but a friend suggested some "percussive maintenance" on it, so I turned it on and dropped it about 6". Fired right up! Thanks for the screenshot for the manual, it was on my list to go through the manual to find exactly that. I thought it was pushbutton though. So you pull it to set the brake? Thanks!

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good call, I'll get one. I thought my air compressor was dead but a friend suggested some "percussive maintenance" on it, so I turned it on and dropped it about 6". Fired right up! Thanks for the screenshot for the manual, it was on my list to go through the manual to find exactly that. I thought it was pushbutton though. So you pull it to set the brake? Thanks!
push adds air, releases the brakes. Pull removes air, which sets the brakes. I can only speak for my auction 1082, One of the caging bolts was missing, but I didn’t need it since the brakes operated fine. It’s a crapshoot with auctions of-course but your trailer looks like it had some things done recently to make it operable. New safety hook and interconnection box. The plugs are still in the caging holes on the brake chambers. If I was a betting person I’d wager those brakes operate just fine, and then I’d hedge the bet with having a set of caging bolts just in case….

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks