• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unplanned outage

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Our ISP had an issue tonight. I knew about it about 20mins after it happened. But while it was down I took my time bringing it back up. I wanted to run a database check, and I pulled a backup of the database as well. In light of yet another unexplained outage (power), I'm going to retain a backup copy of the database on my local network.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need to go down more often, we are at 164 members versus 112 guests as of 10:04 Members rule :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power outages happen all the time. Power outages inside an ISP's hosted data center do not. I would be very not happy.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For our "little" data center we have UPS', motor-generator and two big diesel generators sitting on pads outside. The diesels get tested once a month and we frequently (relative term) test when power gets re-wired. Even with all that we have still had power outages. If it is built by a human and used by humans you can't human proof it.

mikew

No 99.999% uptime gold star for you!

Oh wait, these are PCs not mainframes.... no 90% uptime gold star for you!

Backups, two copies in two different geographical locations!

My bank customers frown upon downtime and terminate your contract over lost data!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you are getting some coin back for poor performance from the ISP in monthly credits. We use doubleknot and Kintera and never recall an outage.

Thanks for your dedication in keeping the wheels running!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks