• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unplanned site outage

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's good to have the site back up so quickly.

I really needed more sewer pipe intakes, and stupid thread posts.

I almost got bored and bobbed a truck...

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Maybe we could use something like a SteelSoldiers channel on some existing chat site, such as an IRC server? I don't know if web-based front-ends are available for IRC. My vote would be for a chat feature which has broad compatibility with PCs, tablets and smartphones, accessible from either a plain web browser (for folks who have ordinary desktops and don't want to be bothered with anything new-fangled) or smartphone/tablet apps (for folks who use those and want it optimized for small screens). Fancy features and eye candy aren't important in my opinion.

If I could access the regular chat from my iPad or iPhone, then I could be connected during lulls at work, pop in for some chatting during lunch, etc.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just use my phone.

Here's one picture I needed to send to a member today, while the site was out. And yes, it was MV related, sort of.

Attachments

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe we could use something like a SteelSoldiers channel on some existing chat site, such as an IRC server? I don't know if web-based front-ends are available for IRC. My vote would be for a chat feature which has broad compatibility with PCs, tablets and smartphones, accessible from either a plain web browser (for folks who have ordinary desktops and don't want to be bothered with anything new-fangled) or smartphone/tablet apps (for folks who use those and want it optimized for small screens). Fancy features and eye candy aren't important in my opinion.

If I could access the regular chat from my iPad or iPhone, then I could be connected during lulls at work, pop in for some chatting during lunch, etc.
IRC would be even better.

BUT...

There's a number of users here that aren't, shall we say computer savy, to try to get into something like chat IRC clients. Have to keep things as simple as possible. (I mean no disrespect by this comment either people)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But you never call me...

:-(

Quick, while the site is up, PM me your number!

But don't expect a call until the site crashes again!

:doghead:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
There's a number of users here that aren't, shall we say computer savy, to try to get into something like chat IRC clients. Have to keep things as simple as possible. (I mean no disrespect by this comment either people)

Agreed, fully. I would prefer something that is a good, happy compromise between the less-computer-savvy folks and the wired-up-all-the-time folks. I don't know what options exist, though.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If it would be ok with everyone, I'd like to consider offering a remotely hosted chatroom link for the main page when the site is down. No, it's far from perfect I know. But perhaps it would allow everyone to meet up still. (Just thinking out loud here)
Thought we did that the last outage, tied to bring it up, could not be found in the great internet world

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for all of your hard work, Drew.

We're now on Twitter! Follow us @steelsoldiers for all of the latest updates, happenings, etc...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What about something for all of us who do not use twitter, ect. I don't even know how to get there on the computer, let a-lone my phone that does not know what T is, why not something simple like a aux. chat that ONLY opens when the SITE goes down, using twitter, fb, insgram, pintrest, and the rest of the social networking sites WILL leave a LOT of members out in the cold

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron, you used your phone too(when the site was down). Just keep doing that. It has worked for over 80 years now.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all of your hard work, Drew. We're now on Twitter! Follow us @steelsoldiers for all of the latest updates, happenings, etc...
Twitter, facebook and the like. I have never been at one of those places:shock:.

I will stay right here.:beer: Thank you very much..!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please don't take this as a whine, complaint, or grumbling. But many of you have my number and email address. I can assure you, if the site is down, I already know about it. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks