• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unplugged TDM

Videris

HMMWV was running hot 235-240 range. While TDM was hooked up.
Unplugged it she ran at 195-200 range on highway freeway wherever for 2 plus hours no issue. I don't want to run it like this all the time for obvious reasons so I was thinking that at least one of you have experienced this before and might have a specific fix. What I know is it doesn't overheat just runs to hot for my liking, gauge is well grounded and within functionality range if you will, coolant is clean and green, no antifreeze in oil, no coolant leaks and fan does kick on and off but doesn't do so until 220 range and never really keeps temperature lower than 235ish. That's when I disconnected TDM and it ran obviously cooler 195ish. Any specific fixes or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unhooked, the fan runs all the time. Sounds like the TDM is bad. Is the bottom gooey and melted epoxy? That is what mine looked like. Easy to pick up on flea bay

Videris

Didn't even look at it that hard. Figured it was working ok because when it was hooked up fan did kick on and off at I guess the correct intervals. I will scope it out closer though. Thanks for the heads up man I appreciate it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While this topic has been beat into submission for the 1 millionth time....here it is again.
the gauges are notoriously off in there accuracy, the best bet is to check the actual temp of the coolant with
a thermometer. Your 220 reading is more likely 210-215....I own 4-5 hmmwv's at any one time, they all reflect something different on the gauges and act a bit different frm one to the other on the fan operation temps.
The 210-215 is the temp the thermostatic switch is set to deny 24v to the TDM thus turning on the fan.
these are deisel engines folks, not gas engines....Diesels run hotter, that's how they work.

Videris

I hear you on this topic being beat to death. My intention was to present my specific issue to you guys (the experts) to see if maybe recently someone went through my exact situation and came up with a specific fix. I will definitely try the thermometer test but I know it ain't the gauge directly because I don't just have a high reading I have engine fatigue at those high readings so it's something else. Have any of you had radiator re-cored? I figure I'll replace all the usual suspect parts (TDM, thermostat, Cadillac valve, etc.) as well as recore radiator. Other than the fan clutch assembly and the motor being wore out that should be good start. Anyway thanks for taking the time to help gentlemen I appreciate it. Let me know on radiator recore. Thanks again guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks